Saturday 31 October 2020

THE HALLOWE'EN GUY...

 
Images copyright relevant owners

Here's a question for all your cavortin' Crivvies - what age were you when you last went out guising at Hallowe'en?  I guess I was about 10, though it may just have been to a Boys' Brigade party (I was a member) in the church hall over the road from me.  That means that it's been over 50 years since I was an active participant in the Hallowe'en tradition, which seems strange to me as I can remember those dark nights of my childhood as if they were far more recent than that.  I've never been to an adult Hallowe'en party, but I'm sure many of you have, which means you got to dress up annually for many more years than I ever did.  Except for weekends and only to unwind - but that's another story.  (Joking.)

Incidentally, I hate Hallow'en parties for grown-ups (any parties in fact) - let the kids have their fun for goodness' sake without trying to imitate them.  Seeing adults making tits of themselves while dressed up in ridiculous costumes and smashed out of their brains makes a mockery of the innocent pleasure that should be the sole province of children (apart from the getting drunk part obviously).  If you must have a party, then have a party (though I'd advise against it, as I hate seeing people enjoying themselves, especially when the ensuing noise encroaches on my peace and quiet), but you shouldn't be copying kids in order to get your jollies.  Grow up!  (Says the man who still buys toys and comics!)

Ah, I feel much better now, doctor - can I be discharged?  Anyway, as it's Hallowe'en tonight, I though I'd share with you a few relevant images of the age-old tradition, culled from Whizzer & Chips #3 back in 1969 (which was actually a Guy Fawkes issue, though it came out before Hallowe'en, probably on October 25th).  I won't tell anyone if you decide to click on the image of the mask and print out your own copy.  In fact, I've included another couple of masks just in case they'll float your boat as well.  Just don't wear them to any parties if you're over 10!



4 comments:

Colin Jones said...

We didn't do any trick~or~treating when I was a kid ~ in fact I don't think we'd even heard of such a thing. I did go to a Hallowe'en party in the village hall when I was 12 and we bobbed for apples and scoffed toffee apples etc but that is my only Hallowe'en memory from childhood. I totally agree about ridiculous Hallowe'en parties for adults ~ grow up already! But this year Covid has completely killed off any such events and trick~or~treating too.

Kid said...

It wasn't called 'trick-or-treating' in Britain until sometime in the '80s, CJ (you'll remember us discussing this before), due to the influence of US TV shows and movies, but even UK kids who say 'trick or treat' when they come to your door, don't follow the American pattern of playing a 'trick' if the don't get a 'treat'. The American incarnation of OUR tradition is nothing less than extortion - terrorism even.

McSCOTTY said...

Bah humbug , I enjoyed Halloween parties more as an adult in my 20s (till about 26) it was fun at that age with your mates / girlfriends. Never liked it as a kid though and since I was about 26 I have never bothered with it apart from for my niece's etc. We used to go guiseing in the 60s not trick or treating... Hated it having to do a party piece

Kid said...

I only ever delivered two pieces, McS, but not at the same door. One house would get 'Three wee witches on the green...', and another would get 'Ma mammy said I wis tae go...'



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...