Thursday 22 October 2020

THE COMIC ART OF REG PARLETT...


Copyright relevant owner

You Crivvies will be glad to know that there's a new guest post by Barry Pearl waiting in the wings, but in the meantime, here's a book I received today about one of my favourite cartoonists - Reg Parlett.  It has loads of great examples of Reg's work, and the book was published in 1986 when he was still a working artist at the age of 80.  (Altogether, he had a career spanning 66 years.)  Alan Clark, the book's author, was the organiser of a campaign to get an official honour (O.B.E. I think) for Reg, but sadly it never happened.  Reg died in 1991, but his art lives on in back issues of the many comics he worked for, and in books like the one pictured above.

Reg was replaced on the Buster strip in the comic of the same name by Tom Paterson, another brilliant cartoonist.  However, the change in style from Reg's gentle-but-hilarious depiction to Tom's somewhat more 'manic' interpretation wasn't as popular with readers as had been anticipated.  I remember saying to Bob Paynter (Group Editor of IPC's humour division) when I was down in King's Reach Tower one day that I wasn't too keen on the new look, and Bob admitted that, going by readers' reaction, it'd probably been a mistake to make such a pronounced change in art style.

However, Reg continued to draw the Buster strip for Scottish newspaper The Sunday Mail afterwards, so he still maintained a connection to the character, which he'd been writing and drawing since the early '70s.  Along with Angel Nadal, he's probably the artist most associated with Buster by a certain age group.  Anyway, if you're a fan of Reg, this is a book that's well-worth having in your collection.  Below, for your amusement, is another of Reg's strips - Rent-A-Ghost Ltd. - enjoy!  (And feel free to leave a comment.)


19 comments:

McSCOTTY said...

Nice little book that. Reg Palettes work (along with Leo Baxendale and Dudley Watkins) instantly takes me back to my childhood when I see it. I always loved his work on Rent a Ghost, Mowser and the Crows. I completely missed his Buster strip appearing the Sunday Mail was that new stuff or reprints?.

Kid said...

The Sunday Mail Buster strips were all new, McS. Maybe one day they'll be reprinted. I loved his art on Rent-A-Ghost, Billy Bunter, Mowser, Harry's Haunted House (another artist took it on within a short time, but he wasn't as good), and just about everything he drew, though I wasn't so keen on Consternation Street. Not because of the way Reg drew it, but there were just too many characters in it to interest me. (And I didn't much like Coronation Street (which had prompted the strip) anyway.

McSCOTTY said...

Oh yeah I forgot about Mr Parlett's work on Billy Bunter that was excellent stuff as well.

Kid said...

He was great at caricatures as well, McS. He drew quite few TV and radio stars in their own strips for various comics.

Colin Jones said...

Who wants an OBE anyway? Archaic nonsense from a discredited establishment!

Kid said...

That's right, CJ, just like you to focus on the art. I'd imagine plenty people would want one, as very few who are offered one ever turn them down.

Colin Jones said...

I think lots of people turn down honours, Kid - David Bowie, Keith Richards, Alan Bennett and Honor Blackman to name just four.

Kid said...

Four is hardly a lot, CJ. I think you'll find that those who accept the various 'honours' outnumber those who don't by quite a margin. Remember, your question was "Who wants an OBE anyway?" My point, going by the number who accept, was that quite a few people seem to want them.

Colin Jones said...

Well, I'm definitely turning down an OBE when they offer me one :)

Kid said...

And they're most certainly bound to, CJ. How could they not?

Dave S said...

I'm guessing Rent-a-Ghost has no connection with the 80s children's TV show of a similar name, but it looks a lot of fun! Not a strip I am familiar with, but i certainly enjoyed the example you posted.

McSCOTTY said...

Bowie turned down an OBE and a knighthood.

Kid said...

No connection, DS. Buster's one came first. I wonder if IPC ever considered suing the telly people?

******

Yeah, but he should never have turned down those singing lessons as well, McS. What was he thinking?

Dave S said...

Hmmm, I did read Buster but strangely have no memory of Rent-a-Ghost. I did watch Rentaghost as a child though and enjoyed it. Saw an episode a few years ago and...well let's just say it wasn't as good as I remembered.

Kid said...

It was cult viewing even among young 'adults', DS. It was one of those shows that was so bad, it was good. Pardon My Genie was another such TV show.

rob diablo said...

Hi Kid..Yes bob block was the writer on Both shows..And Roberts robots, Pardon is My fave though, Superb.
I Love Reg Parlett,s art one of my all time faves, especially Mowser.

Kid said...

I remember the genie changing actors between series 1 & 2. The first one was Hugh Paddick, the second was Arthur White. (David Jason's brother, if I remember correctly.) I assume they were both meant to be the same genie, but I was never quite sure.

rob diablo said...

Hi Kid, just started the second series, and in a Dr Who style, the genie has regenerated!that's how they explained the different actor, a total steal from Who of course, but i guess t didn't bother anyone at the time.

Kid said...

Ah, right. That must've escaped me at the time, but I'm glad to hear that they at least provided an explanation for the Genie's change in appearance.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...