Tuesday 11 August 2020

THE MIGHTY THOR SPECIALS COVER GALLERY (UPDATED)...

Copyright MARVEL COMICS

Looking at these covers, it's hard to believe that the earliest comic among them is 55 years old, while the youngest is 49, with some 50 year-olds in between.  Relax, I'm not going to bore you (again) with philosophical speculations on the nature of time, I just thought these images would be of interest to all the THOR fans among you.  I well remember the thrill of seeing the above JOURNEY Into MYSTERY Annual #1 (and only) in various local newsagents around 1973 or '74, and I must've bought around 3 or 4 of them.

I was already familiar with the stories from their re-presentations in FANTASTIC and SPIDER-MAN COMICS WEEKLY, but it was good to re-read them in colour for the first time.  On the cover below, Thor's arm was altered, but if you look at the 2nd-last scan at the foot of this post, you'll see how Jack originally drew it, as taken from an unaltered proof used for a 1994 reprint of the 2nd Thor Special.  That's followed by a scan from Thor MASTERWORKS volume 5 which shows both arms, presumably the patch covering the original having fallen off without being noticed.

Are you a Thor fan?  Which costume do you prefer - JACK KIRBY's original design, or one of the others that he (Thor, not Jack) has worn over the years? 










Regular reader CJ suggested that I expand the post to include TREASURY EDITIONS, which I've now added, along with some other Annuals and two TALES Of ASGARD Specials.  Hope you like them.








10 comments:

McSCOTTY said...

For many years Thor was my favourite Marvel comic. Personally, I do not think he has been handled that well since the brilliant Walter Simonson run on the character. There’s no question the classic Kirby Thor costume is the best.

Kid said...

I enjoyed Simonson's Thor at the time, McS, but I'm not wild about his art style back then when I look at it now. And Workman's lettering I'm not too keen on either, especially the way he does his display lettering. Both together are just a bit too stylised for my liking. And I didn't like Don Blake being done away with. Thor as a frog though? That took guts.

McSCOTTY said...

I know it's only a comic book but I never understood the Thor /Dr Blake secret identity relationship. Was Dr Blake actually Thor etc. Is Dr Blake no longer part of the Thor storyline.

Kid said...

Originally, as first conceived, McS, Don Blake and Thor were two separate entities until Blake found and struck the cane, they then became two sides of the same coin, so to speak. Then, in a later revision, Stan and Jack decided that Blake had been Thor all the time, changed to human form to teach Thor humility. Under Simonson, Odin decided that the Blake persona had served his purpose and was no longer required. He stayed absent for years, but returned a good while back. However, not having read a new Thor comic in years, I don't know what his current status is in the MU. Anyone?

Colin Jones said...

I only know that Jane Foster became Thor a few years ago (yes, a female Thor!!) but I'm not sure what's currently happening. Things move a lot faster in the Marvel Universe nowadays.

What about the covers of the Thor Treasury Editions?

Kid said...

Good idea, CJ. I'll add them later, along with any more Specials I have.

Dave S said...

But the big question is...is the logo on Thor King Size Special 4 the worst logo to ever grace a Marvel cover?

I'd say yes.

Kid said...

I actually don't mind it, DS - at least it's been lettered with skill, even if the design doesn't appeal to you. I'll tell you what I think's worse - some of the new logos on several True Believers comics.

Christopher Nevell said...

I think that logo comes from an interior page of an early Journey Into Mystery.... and there it should have stayed.

Kid said...

Actually, it appeared on most of the splash pages between #s 87-109, CN. I don't mind it at all.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...