Friday 25 October 2013

BUSTER COMIC LIBRARY COVER GALLERY...


Copyright REBELLION

BUSTER COMIC LIBRARY was one of a series of pocket-sized 68 page comics that reprinted various IPC/FLEETWAY strips back around the mid-'80s.  Lasting for 30 issues, it was great value for money and allowed collectors to see earlier escapades they might have missed of  their favourite funnies.  To me, the covers look like 'cut and pastes' of Buster artist REG PARLETT pics (with a few by ANGEL NADAL), but I saw the cover 'art' for issue #8 advertised on a website as being by TERRY BAVE, so it's always possible that he ghosted Parlett's style, though I remain unconvinced.

Anyway, I thought you might like to see all 30 covers, #29 being a bit of a rarity as it was pulled from distribution because of Buster holding a lighted firework.  Enjoy!
  













6 comments:

George Shiers said...

Ah yes... the missing number 29 - I WISH I HAD THAT! *cough* *cough* *cough*

Kid said...

It's mine - all mine. Bwahhahahahahahahah! (Didn't you get a battered copy?)

Anonymous said...

I picked up about 5 of these books a few years ago (in Arthur's in Cresswell lane, Glasgow) along with some other titles like the Eagle and Lion pocket books. I've always been a fan of the Digest / Pocket book foramt (Archie comics in the US do it particularly well) but wasn't aware of these titles at all in 80s. Were they well distributed? The ones I have are pretty good indeed with nicely presented and easy to read strips - Buster has some great Ken Reid Faceache strips and Eagle had Don Lawrence's Karl the Viking if I recall correctly - Nice to see Reg Parlett's work again, he was such a presence and talent in UK comics for what seemed an eternity, now he's almost forgotten - very sad in a way, so nice to see his work again - McScotty

Kid said...

Ah, Arthur - I know him quite well, the rascal. He no longer has his place in Cresswell Lane, preferring to use the internet now, I think. As far as I know, McScotty, the comic libraries were pretty well-distributed, but they weren't always well-displayed in newsagents.

TwoHeadedBoy said...

That Easter Egg cover's hilarious!

Got a few of these, and the Whizzer & Chips comic library ones are good too - seemed to be more variety in those ones rather than the same four characters every issue in the Buster ones (not that they were bad characters, obviously).

Kid said...

I've got the W&C ones too, TSB. In fact (as I'm sure you'll know), I worked on them, resizing and redrawing some of the pages. I'll be doing a cover gallery soon.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...