Thursday 9 November 2023

Once Upon A Time There Was A Tavern...


Although I've never drank alcohol in my life, I'd still go into pubs on occasion for a soft drink or a meal, either with friends or by myself.  In my very early 20s, there was one pub (among several) that me and various pals would visit now and again as it had a nice 'homey' ambience and, if memory serves, a real log fire against the back wall.  (It definitely had a fire which I think was real, but may have been an electric or gas one with log or coal fire effect.)  The pub had once been a farmhouse I believe, and though it'd likely had its interiors completely remodelled, it managed to capture (in my mind anyway) that old-fashioned feel of a coach house-type inn from a long-vanished era.

Anyway, last year sometime, I was making my way home after visiting someone and, as my route led past this very same pub, I decided to pop in for a glass of cola and a bag of crisps or nuts.  (Perhaps even a bag of crisps and a bag of nuts, simply because I'm a greedy boy who knows how to live!  Hell, maybe I'd even have two glasses of cola.)  Imagine my disappointment to find it'd had a refit, with one side sectioned off to serve as a snooker or pool area, and no welcoming fire in sight.  I'd been hoping to revisit an aspect of my past and rekindle memories of earlier times when I was a young man with what was surely going to be a glorious future ahead of me.

'Twas not to be, alas; it no longer held any hint of the familiar about it and could've been any pub anywhere in the country, with no ghosts of yesteryear to sit among for half an hour or so in pleasant dreams of reverie.  So, something else that'd been changed almost beyond recognition when I wasn't looking and my life seems diminished by it.  One of the worst aspects of aging is not just the loss of one's youth, but also the loss of many tangible 'signposts' of that youth, whatever they may be.  Not to mention one's vitality and enthusiasm to meet each new day - along with the illusion of a never-ending succession of new days stretching into infinity and beyond.  (Now where have I heard that before?)

If you're getting on in years, what things do you miss from your youth (if anything), and if you could be granted three wishes, would you turn back the clock to an earlier time in your life or would you waste them in wishing for wine, women, and song (and loads of dosh)?  Tell all in the comments section.

******

Below, me standing on top of the building in 1978 when it was still a ruin.  (Check out those flared trousers - they weren't exactly 'in fashion' at the time.)

17 comments:

Big D said...

Hi Kid,
Alas, Whitehills Farm closed down only a few weeks ago.
I collect a Carry Out Meal for my family most Saturday nights from the Jasmin Inn next door.
I'm not a "pub man" and only recall being in it once many years ago, but it was still very sad to see all its windows boarded up.
Cheers,
Big D

Kid said...

Hell's bells, BD, I passed it last night and assumed it was still open due to people and traffic going in and out. I suppose it must've been the Jasmin Inn they were going to. That's a shame, but at least I was back in it a couple of times (I only related one event) before it closed. The end of an era. Before it became a pub and was still a ruin (used to be a stable and kennels I think), I sat in the courtyard one snowy day and drew an ink picture of it. Years later, I coloured a copy and sold it to Ian Hart the then-owner. I've also got poor quality photos of it somewhere, taken when it was yet a ruin, and when I find them I'll post them (and the drawing) on the blog.

Colin Jones said...

Kid, I was reading recently (in The Guardian online) that Britain's pubs and clubs are "in crisis" due to the rocketing cost of energy but also because of changing lifestyles - apparently 20% of young people don't drink alcohol at all nowadays and lots of people who do drink alcohol prefer to buy it in a shop and drink it at home.

In answer to your question, there isn't really anything I miss from my youth and I'm happy being my current age.

Did you hear about Caramac bars being phased out? For some reason I'm not very familiar with that particular brand so when I heard the news I had to google Caramac to learn more about the bars despite them being around since 1959 apparently!

Kid said...

Or in an underpass, CJ, which is where I see several drinkers these days. (In fact, that's always been the case, even when pubs were doing fine.) No, didn't hear about Caramac being phased out, so I'd better buy some to last me a wee while. Another slice of my childhood disappearing, alas.

Anonymous said...

Colin - For me, to understand Caramac, an analogy with UK annuals helps. I never read the Hotspur comic, but had a couple (maybe 3) Hotspur annuals. Likewise, I never once bought a Caramac bar, but bought the Caramac Easter egg, whenever it was available (it was possibly the best Easter egg going!)

Phillip

Anonymous said...

To extend my analogy, as regards Caramac, if only - like UK annuals that continued long after their comics had folded - Caramac's Easter egg could continue, long after its chocolate bar is phased out!

Phillip

Kid said...

I'm just back from the shops, P, where I bought 4 packets of Caramac containing 3 bars each. I've had the egg before and it's very nice indeed. Maybe they're doing a 'Beano', saying they're going to phase it out (like replacing Dennis's stripey red jumper) so that sales will rise. (A few years ago, Heinz said they were going to rename their salad cream because it was fit for more than just salad, but they never did it.) Cadbury's brought out a new chocolate bar a while back called Caramilk which tastes just like Caramac, so that will serve as a stand-in.

Anonymous said...

Kid - Maybe the Caramilk is analogous to 'Plug' comic!

Phillip

Kid said...

Brain fog at the moment, P, so you'll have to explain that one to me - too tired to think.

Anonymous said...

'Plug' was a (sort of)glossy-covered spin off from the Beano (starring Plug, the 'break out' character from 'The Bash Street Kids'.) I'm thinking 1980 or 1981? Hence, as Caramac span off Caramilk, the Beano span off 'Plug' !

Phillip

Kid said...

Ah, right, got you. I thought you might've meant that as Plug only lasted 75 issues and was therefore relatively short-lived, Caramilk might only have a short life ahead, but I was too tired to work it out. Just had a couple of hours kip and I'm now slightly more alert.

Colin Jones said...

The news story on Radio 4 about Caramac's demise mentioned the increased competition from Caramilk as a reason. I bought some Caramilk only recently but at the moment I've got a triple-pack of Fry's Turkish Delight to enjoy. Perhaps I'd better buy some Caramac before it disappears!

Kid said...

Ah, I'm partial to a Fry's Turkish Delight myself, CJ. I'll have to buy some Animal Bars next, 'cos they're doing away with them as well.

Colin Jones said...

Do you mean Lion Bars, Kid?

Kid said...

Nope, CJ, I mean Animal Bars, introduced in 1963. Grab some while you can.

Andrew L said...

I recently purchased the new Milky Bar caramel gold advertised as white chocolate with a caramel flavour. It was far too sweet for me. I need to stock up on caramac. The caramilk bar with crisped rice is rather tasty though.

Kid said...

I daresay that Caramac will be occasionally revived for limited editions over the coming years, AL - I hope so anyway.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...