Tuesday 11 April 2023

THE FAMOUS FIVE - A VANISHED AGE...


Copyright HODDER & STOUGHTON Ltd

Did any of you Crivs ever read Enid Blyton's The Famous Five books when you were younger?  The group's name 'Famous Five' was tacked on later, the original story titles being just 'Five On A Treasure Island', etc.  A while back I bought a boxed set of the first ten books (there being 21 in all, not counting short stories) and eventually worked my way through them - perhaps not something to which I should admit to all you adults out there.  It later occurred to me that I'd probably read more of the Five's adventures as a 'grown up' than I ever did as a kid, and the realisation took me somewhat by surprise.

How many did I actually read in my childhood, towards the end of my primary school days and perhaps, possibly, maybe, even into my first year in secondary?  Know what, I can't remember with any certainty, but it was probably no more than about four or five at most - if even that.  Yet somehow I have the impression that the Five (Julian, Dick, Anne, George, and Timmy the dog) and their intrepid excursions into mystery, intrigue, and even danger, were a significant feature of my life at that time.  Funny that, eh?  It's similar to thinking back to childhood TV shows and feeling that we regularly watched every episode instead of the occasional 'dipping in' that was more likely to be the case.

I have to say that I was surprised about just how absorbing and thrilling the books are, as I really only bought them out of a sense of nostalgia, with no real intention of reading (or dipping into) any more than one, two at the most.  My sense of expectation was therefore not very high, but dated as they are (despite some mild revisions designed to obscure the fact), they're a 'jolly good' read.  Revisions?  Yes, such things as old money (pounds, shillings, and pence) changed to decimal currency, and shorts turned into jeans, but despite these changes, one is still swept along by the force of Enid Blyton's imagination and storytelling skill.

The books I have are copyright 2016, though based on the text from editions published in 1997, so they don't include further amendments instituted after that date, of the sort that have been publicised in the news recently.  To be frank, I think it's a waste of time making any changes at all, as the stories should be regarded as 'time capsules', capturing a vanished age as if in amber.  They can change 'shorts' to 'jeans' and 'shillings' to 'pence' all they want, but the absence of any mention of mobile 'phones, computers, iPads and the like, means that the stories still read like something not quite anchored in the here and now.  Also, the original illustrations (by Eileen A. Soper) usually portray the Five in jackets (or pullovers) and shorts, not jerseys and jeans as in the revised text.

Using the original drawings tends to suggest that the publishers are straddling the fence by trying to cater to the nostalgia market as well as young readers of today, because if they're going to update the text, it would surely be better to have new illos more in keeping with the modern age*.  I say 'surely be better' from the publisher's viewpoint, but frankly I'm glad they kept Soper's drawings, even if some of them are a bit ropey.  And they don't seem to have thought things through properly, as in one instance, the revised text describes one character as wearing jeans, then goes on to say that her legs are tanned from the sun.  Remember though, she's wearing jeans, so mentioning the colour of her shins is surely redundant.  Obviously, the discrepancy didn't exist when the unaltered text matched the illustrations.

(*Some previous editions from a good few years back do have more contemporary drawings, but [to my eyes] the '50s 'flavour' of the tales is somewhat compromised by their inclusion.)

Had it been left to me, I'd have retained the original text and simply had a note at the beginning of the books saying that they were written in the '50s before the invention of mobile 'phones, computers, and all the other accoutrements of modern technology.  Once the readers understand the context, they'd have no problem immersing themselves in adventures set in a time known better to their grandparents than to themselves.  And think of the things they'd learn in the process.  Education as well as entertainment - the best of both worlds.

Somewhere in this overstuffed house of mine are three or four hardback FF (no, Melvin, not Fantastic Four) books published in the '50s and '60s, one of which may be the original copy I had at the time (late '60s), the remaining ones being obtained from jumble sales in the '80s or '90s.  I can't help wondering if I'd have found the stories as enjoyable if I'd been reading them for the first time as an adult, without the pre-existing sense of familiarity with the characters from my childhood.  True, I may never have read the majority of the tales back then, but I feel I know the characters and that they're contemporaries from that period, and that I was simply continuing a journey begun in my youth, with friends I hadn't seen for a while.  That make any sense?   

Anyway, thought you might like to see the covers of the first ten books.  Feel free to comment if you find yourselves inclined.









18 comments:

McSCOTTY said...

I wasn't a great book reader as a child and I only ever (partly) read one Famous Five book at that time but it didn't intrigue me at all. I did read a couple of Biggles books and titles like a "Ring of Bright water" and "Swallows and Amazon's" which I prefered . Adults reading children's\young adult books like Roal Dahl's titles etc seems to be quite common now and there is nothing wrong with that. I read the " Chronicles of Narnia " books for the first time in my late 20s.

I don't think I would get the same "kick" you derive from reading \ rereading children's books from your past as I never read them first time around as a kid,I haven't even read your cherished "Wind in the Willows" book.

Unknown said...

Hi!
Great to read your review, as I had never heard of this series. The kids series I grew up with were The Power Boys, Bill Bergson Detective, The Happy Hollisters, Doctor Doolittle, and Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators. Whenever I read them, I am transported to my youth back in the 60s. These books, like The Famous Five, are the greatest time machine and with the proper nourishment, can erase any trouble or woe in our chaotic world of today. I will have to read at least one of the FF now. Thanks for the great post.

Rip Jagger said...

I've never had the pleasure. I first heard of these books on one of James May's TV shows, and I assumed it was a British thing. I was not much of a Hardy Boys reader, though my daughter consumed the Nancy Drew classics. Once I fell into comic book land, I rarely came up for air save to snatch a sci-fi novel or two.

Kid said...

Just got up for a wee and decided to check my blog and - well, whaddya know - three comments waiting for me. I read Biggles too, McS - and other books that are regarded as being written for children: Moonfleet, The Ghosts, Tom's Midnight Garden, etc., and thoroughly enjoyed them all. Treasure Island, Kidnapped, and other classics. (I should mention that I also read books designed for an older readership as well - Sherlock Holmes stories, biographies, Bond novels, The Saint, The Destroyer, Conan, etc., it's not just simpler stories.) Not read The Wind In The Willows? What a deprived life you've led, alas. You might be too 'old' to appreciate it now, as you really need to have the 'spirit of childhood' yet alive in you.

******

Love The Three Investigators, Unknown. Have you read any of the later stories when they're older (late teens) and have a new 'mentor'? (Hector Sebastian.) The very first one I read back around 1969 was The Green Ghost. I've also read a few Hardy Boys books and enjoyed them as well. Thanks for the great comment (and thanks also to McS and RJ).

******

Funnily enough, RJ, I'm not particularly into Sci-fi books, though I've read The Time Machine and the first three Doctor Who novels from the '60s, the best one being the first, featuring The Daleks. I suppose The Ghosts could be considered Sci-fi as it involves time travel, though more in a mystical, magical way than a 'scientific' one. So does Tom's Midnight Garden come to think about it.

Andrew L said...

Fantastic post. I thought it was just me who read children's books. I used to read the famous five as a child. About fifteen years ago I bought the full set of 21 books in hardback with dust covers. They are dated 2006. I still found them to be a great read. I also enjoy reading Bily Bunter and Jennings books. Not sure why a lot of my pals tell me to grow up. Also enjoy agatha christie and sexton blake amongst my adult reading.

Kid said...

Some people make the mistake of assuming that if you read comics and/or books for 'kids', then you're not bright enough to understand or appreciate anything else, AL. That's like saying if you enjoy cartoons and Blue Peter then you're not smart enough to watch news or current affairs programmes. Appreciating one type of book or TV show doesn't necessarily preclude you from being unable to appreciate other types.

A also read Jennings when I was a lad, but when I discovered the Just William books I switched allegiances to the Brown's boy. I've also enjoyed several Agatha Christie books in my time. I think I've only ever read one Billy Bunter book - it was one in which he met Billy Butlin of Butlin's fame.

Colin Jones said...

I can't recall reading any Famous Five books which is a pity as I enjoyed The Three Investigators/Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew and I'd probably have enjoyed the Famous Five too. I agree that the stories shouldn't be updated and should be left as period pieces from the time they were published - changing shorts to jeans seems particularly unnecessary! Unlike Paul, I have read 'Wind In The Willows' on your recommendation, Kid. I also read some of the Jennings books in my childhood - there was a small library next to our primary school and we were taken to the library once a week to borrow a book. Like you, Kid, I didn't read much sci-fi as a child but at Christmas 1978 I bought Isaac Asimov's Foundation Trilogy and to this day I've never read it - I must admit I only bought the trilogy because of the gorgeous paintings of spaceships on the box containing the three paperbacks.

Kid said...

I can't recall if you ever said what you thought of The Wind In The Willows, CJ - did you enjoy it? Regarding The Famous Five books, I wonder if they first decided to provide new illustrations (which they did with some editions a few years back) to make them look more modern, then realised that the text was 'out-of-sync' with them so updated 'shorts' to 'jeans', etc.? Then when they decided to go back to the original illos, they forgot to restore the text to what it was. I suppose that's always possible.

I've bought books before simply because of the illustration on the cover. In fact, that's why I bought my first paperback of The Wind In The Willows, with no intention of reading it (I'd read it previously a year or two before, when I borrowed a book from my school library). I damaged the paperback, so bought another, which is when I decided to read the damaged copy. Although I'd enjoyed the book when I'd first read it, it wasn't until that second reading when the 'magic' hit me.

Colin Jones said...

Kid, I read Wind In The Willows to the end so it held my interest but I think it's a book you need to discover as a child in order to feel the magic you speak of.

Kid said...

I think you're probably right, CJ, though you never know - a second read in a few years might do it for you.

John Pitt said...

I never actually read any of the books, but I did enjoy the TV series.

Kid said...

Don't think I ever saw the TV series, JP, though I noticed some Annuals on eBay recently, with pics from the show on the cover.

John Pitt said...

I had a bit of a crush on Georgina, even though she was a bit of a tomboy!

Kid said...

A girl who wanted to be a boy, JP, so perhaps Enid Blyton was ahead of her time as far as the gender issue goes, eh? I never really noticed it when I was younger, but reading them now, Enid does bang on a bit about Georgina wanting to be a boy and I can't help wondering if she was trying to make some kind of statement.

Ken said...

I remember my late mother trying to ‘improve’ my younger self by buying a couple of these titles. Needless to say, it was back to the weekly purchase from the spinner rack of my local newsagent. 9d well spent on a Batman or Fantastic Four etc comic! She also disapproved of me collecting Monkees, Tarzan, Batman etc cards. Had to collect these cards surreptitiously (see Mum, my vocabulary didn’t suffer). I remember out shopping with her and dreading bumping into another fellow collector asking if I ‘had any swaps?’. RIP Mum. You tried to do your best for me!

Ken

Kid said...

At the end of the day I suppose most parents try and do their best, K, but it's not until years later that we come to appreciate that fact, eh? Talking of vocabulary, I know mine was vastly improved by reading comics. That's where I learned such words like 'paroxysm'. (Thanks, Stan.)

ednigma said...

I read all of them, over and over. I was given some as gifts and the remainder I borrowed from the library. It was there that I found the other Enid Blyton Mystery books which I consumed at a great rate. I went through the complete catalogue of the Secret Seven and the Five Find-Outers but the Famous Five were always my favourites.

Kid said...

I read at least one Secret Seven book many, many years back, but I considered them mere Famous Five imitations and they didn't really grab me. In fact, I remember absolutely nothing about the characters. Maybe I'll try again someday.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...