Tuesday 25 September 2018

RESTORATIVE REPOST: RESTORING THE KING...


"Where's Cagney?  I'll moider da bum!"

Being incredibly talented - as well as witty, charming and handsome (not to mention modest and with a self-deprecating sense of humour) - it should come as no surprise to anyone to learn that I once inked (re-inked, to be precise) the artwork of JACK "KING" KIRBY - while he was still alive, making it even more of a thrill for me.  To see my name listed with some of the legendary greats of the comicbook biz like STAN LEEJACK KIRBYVINCE COLLETTA, etc., was a big deal for me, and one of which I'm immensely proud.  How did this monumental accomplishment occur, you are perhaps asking - so here's the scoop.

MARVEL were producing their first run of MASTERWORKS editions, when then-editor, TOM BREVOORT, asked me if I could supply some of the absent pages from their files.  As it happened, I was in a position to help out, utilising some of my comics collection featuring Marvel reprints in U.K. publications of the '60s.  However, things were a lot more complex than simply photocopying pages from old comicbooks and sending them over to the States - and here's why:

Back in the '60s, ODHAMS PRESS, publishers of comics such as WHAM!, SMASH!, POW!, FANTASTIC, & TERRIFIC (also EAGLE and others), made all sorts of alterations to the Marvel comic strips they reprinted.  Credit boxes were deleted, American references were changed, colloquial speech was altered, characters' names were revised, and pages were - in the case of Wham!, Smash!, and Pow! - also resized to fit the standard British dimensions.  However, rather than witter on about it let me show you.  Below is a THOR page as it appeared in issue #27 of Fantastic back in 1967.


And here's how the page looked once I had restored it to its original appearance.  What you might call 'invisible mending'.


Next is a poorly printed ad featuring the cover art from FANTASTIC FOUR ANNUAL #3, taken from an issue of SMASH! printed back in the 1960s.  As you can see, most of the linework has dropped out and a couple of characters have been deleted, but this is what I had to work with.  I later found a much sharper copy of this ad in an issue of FANTASTIC, but by then it was too late - I'd already completed all the work and wasn't willing to do it again.


And below is the finished result, a combination of re-created lettering and some taken from my own copy of the actual issue.  You'll see that I had to add two missing figures, as well as re-ink the entire page.


When I first started restoring pages, my aim was to make them as exact as I could, but then I succumbed to the temptation to leave my own 'stamp' on them.  If you look closely, you'll find occasional little deviations from the original.  However, this was accentuated by Marvel not following the original colouring of the published comics.  Nowadays, Marvel strive to make their Masterworks volumes as close to the originals as possible.  The recent softcover editions really are worth acquiring for your collection.


Above is a section from the cover - isn't that gilded frame a thing of beauty?  Below is a section from the credits page - Stan Lee's name kicks it off, I bring up the rear.


And now, what you've been waiting for - the published result.  Unfortunately, the outline of 'King-Size' in the banner at the top of the page was somehow 'lost' in the colouring process, but it was fixed when the cover was later reproduced in other publications.


Considering I used only a Marsmatic technical pen to re-ink a photocopy on cheap paper (copied in my local library), it turned out not too badly.  I also worked on Volume 26 (THOR) - the series was cancelled after Volume 27, but was revived a few years later.

Here are a few more 'before & after' illustrations for your perusal.  As you can see below, the figure of The THING lost most of his body when the image was resized to fit the larger U.K. page.  With the aid of reference as to how the page should have looked, I soon restored the missing details and returned the page to its former state.

BEFORE:


AFTER:


BEFORE:


AFTER:


And finally, a Thor pic, before and after restoration.


Remember - the images can be enlarged by clicking on them - and then clicking again on the enlarged pic to make it larger yet.  (These two are a little blurred - although the preceding pictures can be seen to their best advantage by this process.)

And that's how one restores royalty.  Simple, really - but immensely satisfying.  Altogether now - "Long live the King!"

10 comments:

Dave S said...

Really interesting post, it must have been an incredible feeling to see your own name in the same credits as Lee, Kirkby and Sinnott.

Have you ever thought of doing a post about lettering? Maybe explaining the process for the uninformed (like me), or showing us examples of good or bad lettering.

It'd be an interesting read, I'm sure

Kid said...

I think I might've already done a post on lettering, DS, but my memory's terrible these days for relatively recent events. If I haven't, it's a good idea, but try typing lettering into the blog's search box and sees what comes up.

Terranova47 said...

Nice work Kid. It's possible that you reversed the process carried out by Barry Windsor (& Newton) Smith in the 60's before he worked on new comics, like CONAN.

Kid said...

Thanks, T47. I know that Smith did some back-page pin-ups (and maybe even illos on some front covers) for Fantastic, but it never occurred to me that he might be responsible for some page re-sizing on Smash! too.

Terranova47 said...

Barry Windsor (& Newton) Smith in London worked with Herb Trimpe in NYC and they both worked on Hulk. I don't know which British titles his work appeared in but chances are it was the Hulk charactor. The artists remained friends when Smith moved to NYC.

Kid said...

I'm perhaps not understanding you properly, T47, but I don't think Herb's work appeared in any of the British Power Comics of the '60s.

Terranova47 said...

Sorry, that was badly phrased. Herb was a production person at Marvel in NYC before he was working as an illustrator. He provided the photostat copies of the b/w artwork that was sent to London to be reworked. It's Smiths work in the UK that was probably the Hulk. I learned this when having dinner with Smith in NYC after a comic convention there.

Kid said...

Ah, right - so he was an art bodger. He must have re-sized the Hulk pages in Smash! then. I wonder who did the Spidey pages in Pow!? The 'drawing up' was awful - whoever did them clearly didn't know what he was looking at half the time.

Phil S said...

Well done mate! I found the marvel U.K. reprints of Steranko’s work to be better than the Strange Tales originals.

Kid said...

Just a shame that each tale was split into two and a splash page by a lesser artist was added to the 2nd half though, eh?



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...