Sunday 7 April 2013

PART EIGHT OF SPIDER-MAN COMICS WEEKLY COVER GALLERY...

Images copyright MARVEL COMICS

For all those reliving the early '70s through the pages of SPIDER-MAN COMICS WEEKLY, here's another instalment in this sensational series to thrill and amaze you.  Personally, I was a very happy chappie when SMCW #23 went on sale, as it contained a titanic tale I'd first read in the pulsating pages of the FANTASTIC Summer Special 1968 "SPIDER-MAN Meets DOCTOR STRANGE!"  The mighty STAN LEE and awesome STEVE DITKO at their finest, and no mistake!

Each presentation of the story has it's own distinct set of memories and association for mes.  When I look at the resized b&w Fantastic Summer Special, I'm once again back in the '60s, in the house and neighbourhood where I lived at the time.  However, when I see SMCW #23, it conjures forth images of the '70s and the house and area in which I yet reside today - as well as recollections of the initial act of remembering having read the earlier version of the tale.  Like looking through a window into a room with another window - through which you look into another room,  if you know what I mean.  (And if you do, explain it to me.)
       
At the time, the five year gap between the two comics seemed like an immense gulf in some ways, whereas, nowadays, five years seems like only a heartbeat away.  In fact, sometimes I find it hard to believe I'm actually living in the 21st century.  However, enough of my self-indulgent sentiment - hopefully you too will experience the joy of revisiting yesteryear, when the future was yet an undiscovered country and childhood stretched ahead into the far distant horizons.
  






No comments:



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...