Tuesday 3 July 2012

BEHOLD THE FAR HORIZONS - I WOULD IF I COULD...



You're looking at the view that could once be enjoyed from my bedroom window of the home I lived in from the mid-'60s until the early '70s.  The first picture was taken 16 years to the very day after my family had left the house, by arrangement with the then-current tenant with whom we'd exchanged residences so many years before.  Although not evident in the above pic, on a clear day one could see purple hills above the line of trees on the far horizon, but I captured them on film on a subsequent visit a few weeks later.


In the second scene, taken three years on (with the consent of new tenants), amenity housing for the elderly stands on the site of the field where the neighbourhood kids (and myself) once played in previous years.  A sign of the times I suppose, but I can't help lamenting the fact that our horizons are narrowing with every new building crammed into any space that once offered a welcome oasis of greenery amidst the concrete structures of our sprawling towns and cities.

Looks as if the living conditions of places like MEGA-CITY ONE might be a reality sooner than we thought.

Click to enlarge

******

And, just in case you're wondering, below is a close up of the view, taken a few weeks after the one at the top of the page.  See them thar hills.

 

The final photo is me three years later, with replacements of some of the toys I owned when I lived in the house.
    

5 comments:

Martin said...

People sometimes ask me, why on earth do I choose to live in 'the sticks'. I try to explain how the sky seems much bigger there.

Kid said...

Ah, the sky. I remember when I could see it without having to crane my neck upwards. Thanks for commenting, Martin.

moonmando said...

Would`nt it be interesting if in a few years time you found yourself resident in the old folks home across from your old Belmont abode.Hmmm...You might even be able to photograph the former Robson Towers from the opposite side.That would be cool!
That is assuming that when you are ensconsed in the slipper factory across the road,you can still remember you name...Oh dear.

Kid said...

Funny thing is, I was already considering that scenario as I was taking the photos at the time. Amenity houses for old folks have been built across the road from where I now live, and I've thought how ironic it would be to end up in one of them.

Now...what's my name again?

Anonymous said...

Lovely view in the first picture and such a shame to have a new building completely obscure it. Too many open green spaces have been built on in EK and frankly have spoiled part of what made the new town special - that's progress for you!

Just discovered your blog at the weekend and really enjoying catching up with all your earlier posts - keep up the great work.

Big D



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...