Wednesday 7 March 2012

IT'S FABULOUSLY FLIPPIN' FANTASTIC - PART ONE...


Images copyright MARVEL COMICS

I've lost track of just how many previous posts I've published on the ODHAMS PRESS periodical, FANTASTIC - so I'm going to start from scratch and showcase my cover gallery from issue #1.  This will save anyone from having to dig through the blog archives in order to find any posts they may have missed.  Not for nothing am I known for my thoughtful consideration for others, regardless of even the slightest concern for myself.  I'm a veritable saint, I am - even if I say so myself.  (And I do.)


Anyway, as some of you will already know, Fantastic was a comic which lasted for 89 issues back in the '60s, and which reprinted MARVEL stories from the States.  The comic featured the adventures of THOR, X-MEN, and IRON MAN in the early issues, along with a strip called The MISSING LINK - which was later renamed JOHNNY FUTURE.


I'll fill you in with anything pertinent as we trundle along, but for now let's just relax and enjoy the spectacular covers and back-page pin-ups from this titanic title from yesteryear, when the POWER PACK seemed to hold sway over newsagents' counters the length and breadth of Britain.  Look out for more cataclysmic comic covers from FANTASTIC - soon!









6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic stuff 'Kid'. I can still smell the plastic of the wallet in which I never never never cut up the pennant pictures!

Kid said...

The first issue I bought was #7 - and 'though I acquired back numbers from a relative over the course of several weeks, sadly I never had the pennant free gift. However, I remember the Sue Storm pic for it in one of the other comics.

baab said...

I have been trying to remember where i first saw these.
There is a guy called Ivor who frequents the comic book world in scotland and he has a shopfront called red hot comics,
I was in there with my kids and in an old box,there were quite a few issues of fantastic,I had a quick look at them and made my mind up that they were reprints of the titles i was more familiar with,so i put them back.
I did not look at the dates or anything because I was simply unaware of these titles existing.
I was either distracted by my kids or had my ,'you will not look,you will not collect', head on.
This was about three years ago.

nice of you to start from the beginning KID.

Kid said...

Unless you actually had them when you were younger, they wouldn't really mean anything to you. I have some of the original US issues they reprinted, plus full-colour reprintings in the Masterworks and Omnibus editions - but I could still never part with my Fantastics as they have their own individual charm. (And memories.)

Nick Caputo said...

Kid,

You are not only a saint, but a gentleman and a scholar. It's great to have the covers seen in sequential order and interesting to comapre them to the original covers.

http://nick-caputo.blogspot.com/

Kid said...

Thanks Nick. Sometimes the 'drawing up' of a cover (to fit the different dimensions) is below par, but they are interesting to behold despite that.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...