Tuesday 12 January 2021

A POEM FOR POSSESSIONS...

 And that's only a few of mine below...

In a strange kind of way, I regard all of my many possessions as though they were my children, and sometimes worry about what will happen to them when I'm no longer around.  Several months or so back (maybe longer), with this in mind, I dashed off a few lines of verse on a scrap of paper and then forgot about it.  I found it while tidying up my room earlier and decided to publish it on the blog.

I'm not had time to polish and refine it yet, but I thought some of you might appreciate the sentiment, if not its execution, so here it is.  Not thought of a finished title for it yet, just a temporary stand-in.  (Hey, who said "Call it P*sh"?)  I'd be interested in knowing whether you regard your collection in the same way, or would you say I'm taking things to extremes?  Let's hear what you think.

Incidentally, some lines may change as new revisions occur to me.

 

The Break Up

                               The treasures we cherish from cradle to grave,
                               possessions acquired we've chosen to save;
                               companions through life to ourselves and each other,
                               we love them as though we're their father or mother.

                               Then one day we're gone, our treasures are scattered,
                               orphaned, dispensed with, like they never mattered.
                               Some go to new owners or are just thrown away,
                               A 'family' divided - oh, sad wretched day.

                               To lose first their owner then all of their friends,
                               a potent reminder that everything ends.
                               There's no point, I know, in a cruel fate berating,
                               but I hope, up above, to find them all waiting.

14 comments:

Colin Jones said...

I don't collect anything (except a few books) so I don't need to worry about the fate of my possessions when I depart this vale of tears.

Kid said...

Everybody needs someone or something(s) to worry about, CJ. I hope you've arranged a good home for your few books when you pop your clogs.

Terranova47 said...

Under the green face mask is a toad wearing a tuxedo, smoking a cigar. What's the story behind that?

As regards collecting, I have books, comics and toys from my childhood that I still reread or play with. I probably should catalog them so my daughter doesn't just toss it all in a skip when I'm gone. Or of course I could put 'Northern Heights' in the mail to you Kid, as per your request?

Kid said...

The mask is the Frankenstein Monster, T47, and the poster is an illustration by E.H. Shepard of Mr. Toad from The Wind In The Willows. I got it in 1979 from a branch library in my town while visiting it from central library, where I worked at the time. I'd say the E.H. Shepard illustrations are the definitive ones.

Yes, I'm looking forward to receiving my new train set. Mind and wrap it up well. I'll even graciously allow you to pay for p&p.

Terranova47 said...

Kid, it will take a little time to find a box 12 feet x 9 feet x 3 feet. I'll get right on it!

I agree about Shepard and The Willows.

Kid said...

Good man, I can't wait. Meanwhile, I'll start building a large shed in the garden to house it. Then I'll take my reality pill.

Dave S said...

I'm going to be having a clear out of some of my books soon, so if anyone is desperate to have loads of old sci-fi paperbacks cluttering up their shelves, keep an eye on Ebay!

Kid said...

If anyone is interested in DS's books, Crivvies, you now know where to look. Might be an idea to reveal your ebay seller name, DS and make it easier for people to specifically look for you.

Dave S said...

If it's ok with you, Kid, I'll do that once I've got it all ready- I wouldn't use your blog to promote my stuff without your approval. Won't be doing it for a while yet as my local post office is, understandably (as almost all of the banks in the area were closed down), queued round the corner almost constantly right now.

Kid said...

Nae bother, DS, whenever you're ready.

McSCOTTY said...

I was recently reading a magazine article about peoples relationship with their possessions when they were children. The idea that as a child we can own something, possess it as if it was a part of ourselves which is called the ‘endowment effect’, where we place extra value on an object simply by virtue of it being, or having been ours. Seemingly we make the assumption as kids that’s whoever is first in possession of any object is the owner, regardless of whether we later gave that object away or lost it. As kids we also seemed to prefer the original object we had as we (as children) believe our special objects had a unique essence, a form of magical thinking etc. Which re-appears in some adults in their treatment of heirlooms, memorabilia and artwork. I thought that was very apt top your own feelings on the subject so you not (that) weird Kid 😊.

Kid said...

No, I'm definitely weird, McS - I went on a course and passed with distinction.

That's interesting what you say, because although I'd obviously prefer to have my original possessions, I don't really have any problems regarding replacements as my originals. They were made at the same time in the same era, and in the absence of the originals (which have been thrown or given away, broken, etc., so it's impossible to get them back), the replacements fulfill the same purpose to me. For example, my Tommy Gunn action figure replacement looks exactly the same as my original, so it's almost like I put it in a drawer for 30 years, then opened the drawer and there it was - the exact same. I can't really explain it, it just IS. For me anyway, though CJ disagrees with me.

McSCOTTY said...

I'm the same if I buy a new back issue of a comic I used to have as a kid to me its the same thing and has the same memories of when I first bought the original version - although that doesn't work with facsimile or collected editions for me which is a bit weird, it has to be an original copy of the comic.

Kid said...

Same for me too - a facsimile is a nice stand-in, but not the real deal. Comes close sometimes though, depending on just how much of an accurate facsimile it is.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...