![]() |
| All images copyright relevant and respective owners |
I mentioned these three books previously, one of which I've owned for ages, the other two being recent acquisitions bought via eBay and delivered a couple or so days ago. First up (above) Is How To Become A Comic Book Artist by Rich Buckler, one I've wanted to own for quite a while now, perhaps even as far back as 1986 when it was published - and now I've finally managed to obtain it (maniacal laughter).
I admit, I got the third one (below) because of the name of the artist and author, but there's nothing inside to really suggest that it's by the renowned Marvel and DC artist of the same name. Who knows though, maybe it is? Anyway, either way, still nice to have among my collection of 'How To...' publications currently putting a strain on my bookshelves. All I need now is one called 'How To Find Time To Read All My How To Books And Apply Myself To Following Their Advice'. Then I'll really be cooking with gas!
Any Crivs got any of these books and have they enabled you to inch closer to becoming a comicbook legend, or merely languished in your personal library of literary possessions, gathering dust and fading and tanning in the sunlight streaming through your window? (Unless you live in Scotland, obviously.) What's your view on these kind of books - useful or useless? Tell us all why!






18 comments:
Kid - I haven't got those, but my brother got me "How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way", some time ago. I'd drooled over that book, in 1977, but reading it as an adult, it was way beyond any young comics fan. In fact, it was hard to digest, even as an adult. Gave me a new appreciation of John Buscema's skills, though!
Many of my tomes have suffered foxing through damp/age (an unfortunate leak, a few years ago.) I've since move said books to a different room!
Phillip
I ordered How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way (from Maya Merchandising, I think) in 1979, but because they were out of stock for several weeks, it wasn't until the beginning of 1980 I actually received it. I never had a problem 'digesting' the book and thought it was pretty clear, and Stan's humour throughout made it an entertaining read as well as an instructive one. Still have that same book today, as well as several newer copies of it. I've often wondered, had Jack Kirby been Stan's partner on the book, would it have been as good? What do you think, P?
Jack Kirby did 'forced perspective' shots, with hands, etc, nearer the 'camera', being much larger. With John Buscema, perspective was discussed more in relation to cityscapes, etc, in the book. Had Kirby been involved, drawing figures with large hands, etc, near the 'camera', would have, perhaps, figured more prominently, in the book's instruction!
Phillip
At this time, Jack's art had become a little too abstract, and I doubt the book would've been as visually appealing as it was under John. Also, the Kirby panels used in the book weren't great examples of his art, in my view. As with the Surfer, I think Buscema was the right choice.
Yes, Kirby's Surfer (vs Quasimodo) had excellent 'Kirby Krackle', Quasimodo being subsumed by the Power Cosmic, but apart from that, John Buscema was much better (despite Denzel Washington's character's comment! )
Phillip
Here's a clip, Kid:
https://www.tiktok.com/@velvetjoker1/video/7436062452074188063
Phillip
Agreed, P, Buscema was da man when it came to ol' Norrin. However, Kirby was good in the first few appearances of the Surfer, then his art seemed to deteriorate. I'll get a wee look at that clip when I return from the Care Home.
Took a look - he was right about Moebius's Silver Surfer - it WAS sh*t!
I didn't think Moebius's Silver Surfer was great but I must have been one of the few that enjoyed it.
My local Tesco has started selling boxes of 6 mince pies so I bought a box.
And a few days ago I heard Slade's Merry Xmas Everybody blaring from a passing car.
The script was by Stan, but I felt Moebius's art failed to do it justice, McS, with awful lettering that was hard to read. His Surfer was stiff and nowhere near a patch on Big John's. Moebius also had the effrontery (and the ego) to introduce the idea that people might think his Surfer (artwise) was the best. Not even close.
I just hope Gary Glitter didn't do any Christmas songs, CJ - we deserve to be spared from them if he did. I'll be adding mince pies to my shopping list around November.
The garden centres near where I live had full Christmas items on sale including trees, glitter, decorations etc in early October. One of them ( very pukka) said they had already sold 10 trees, these cost in excess of £1000 folk have more money than sense.
I didn't like the Moebius SS lettering but I did like his Surfer but no one beats big John Buscema ( and Sals ) version.
Kid, Gary Glitter had a Top 10 hit in 1984 with 'Another Rock 'N' Roll Christmas' which was very catchy and it's on YouTube but it gets ignored by radio and festive CD compilations nowadays.
Yeah, it's kind of weird to see Christmas things on the shelf at the same time as Guy Fawkes and Hallowe'en items. It ain't natcheral, I tells ye.
From a professional point of view, Moebius's strip was nicely drawn, but it just didn't capture the ol' Marvel Magic and just looked a bit 'flat' to me.
It'll be getting ignored in my house as well, CJ. I always thought he looked an odious individual, even before the shocking revelations.
I have to admit I never suspected Glitter or Rolf Harris at all. It wasn't until Johnny Rotten of all folk called him and Savile out that I then read the stories about Glitter. The folk that knew about these folk but never did anything about them also need to be found as well. I always got creeped out by Savile
Never really liked Glitter or Savile, McS, but not because I thought they were child abusers, it was just because there was 'something' about them. I was surprised at Rolf Harris though, he seemed a decent guy. Just goes to show, eh?
Post a Comment