Monday 26 August 2024

FLINTSTONES FLIBBA-DIBBA-DIB-DOB! (Or: NURSE!!!)


I suppose, looking back from the distance of decades, that I was a strange child.  Not potential serial-killer strange, but certainly not your run-of-the-mill average child that my peers appeared to be.  I suspect I've got something akin to an obsessive-compulsive personality (though not a 'disorder'), in that I develop routines that must be observed (like putting on my trousers after my underpants - except when I'm wearing my Superman costume, of course), but they're usually 'little' things of no great significance in the overall scheme of everyday life.

Consistency and continuity are important to me.  When I was 6, I recall being perturbed when one week's TV Century 21 (#20) changed the cover banner from red to yellow, and said something different than usual.  ('With Gerry Anderson's Stingray * Fireball XL5 * Supercar' became '25 Stingrays To Be Won!  See Page 9'.)  I bought another issue of #19 from the previous week (still on sale, surprisingly), cut off the banner and stuck it over the offending interloper - now I was happy.

Okay, but what's with the photo of Fred Flintstone, you may be wondering.  Well, around 1962 or '63, my mother bought me a Flintstones Flivver - a friction-drive tin toy with a plastic figure of Fred at the wheel.  It was manufactured by Marx Toys, and I must've retained the figure until at least 1973 or '74.  (The Flivver itself did not survive anywhere near as long.)  During that period, my family had lived in three more houses to the one we inhabited when I first acquired the toy, and I developed a peculiar habit while living in the middle of those three houses of visiting our very first one with Fred in tow.

See, every Sunday, we visited my maternal grandparents, and after tea, I'd take a little walk along to our first two homes (only a few minutes apart) just to gaze upon them again, and to reunite Fred with where he came from.  (H'mm, why does that seem even more bonkers in cold hard print?)  I suppose it was a 'pilgrimage' of sorts.  I carried him in my pocket, and when I reached my destination, I'd take Fred out and hold him facing the front of the first house as though he could 'see' it again.  Eventually, around my mid-teens, I disposed of Fred and any other surviving toys, in an attempt to be more 'grown-up', but deep down I always regretted it.

Anyway, around a quarter of a century ago I acquired a replacement for my Flintstones Flivver and was happy to be reunited with it and its driver.  (The past come back to life as it seemed to me.)  Although I have no specific memory of doing so, I probably took a walk along to my old house with Fred to reconnect my memory of him to when we lived there.  (Dunno about you, but I'm almost inclined to call the men in white coats right now to come and take me away.)  So mission accomplished and all was right with the world (if not my mind).

Aha!  But then, a couple of years or so ago, I saw a Fred figure for sale on eBay.  At first I wasn't interested, as he was pretty beat up and I already had a better one.  However, as I looked at the seller's photos, I began to feel sorry for Fred and decided to buy him just so I could restore him to something resembling his former glory.  So that's what I did, and now I have two Freds to accompany me in however much is left of my journey through life.  I had to repair his nose, which had a bit missing, and to clean him up and restore him to a presentable condition as befits his status as a marker of my youth, and I think I did a pretty good job.

I've included some of the seller's photos (below) to give you an idea of just how poorly he was, alongside some of my own to present him as he appears now.  If you stayed to the end of this post, feel free to leave a comment telling my what a good job I did - or even just to tell me I'm as mad as a box of spiders.  (I'll let you into a little secret - I knew that anyway.)







And just so my other Fred doesn't feel neglected, that's him below in his Flivver.  The box is a repro I made from an original one for the battery-operated version, though mine is friction-drive.

8 comments:

Kid said...

Okay, I'll start us off - Gordie, you're as mad as a big box of spiders! (I said it first.)

Monty said...

Never heard the word 'Flivver' before. I wondered if it was a Scottish expression but then I saw it on the box and also Googled it. American slang apparently. I would use the term 'jalopy'. Or banger. Fred's car is called The Flintmobile according to Google. I thought Bouldermobile initially but think I'm mixing it up with the Slag Bothers in Wacky Races. Nice restoration job anyhow, Kid. I wouldn't have the patience or artistic talent to do such a good job.

Kid said...

Modern models of The Flintstones' car are referred to as a 'Flintmobile', M, but back in the '60s, 'Flivver' was the word en vogue. Besides, it provides nice alliteration - Flintstone Flivver - don't you think? Thanks for the compliment on my restoration of Fred - he lives again.

top_cat_james said...

Freddy's sitting position and glowering grimace lead me to believe he's in the midst of a unsuccessful bathroom visit. Oh well, that's what a diet of bronto burgers and Winston cigs will do to you.

Colin Jones said...

I thought the term was "mad as a box of frogs" rather than spiders.

The positions you've photographed poor Fred in look a bit obscene but as ever you've done a good job with your handiwork, Kid!

Kid said...

Nah, TCJ, he wouldn't have wanted photographed if he were in the bathroom, would he? Fred's not that kind of guy.

******

Depends where you shop, CJ. My local supermarket was out of frogs, so I got spiders instead. Obscene? It never occurred to me, because to the pure, all things are pure. Ta for the compliment.

baggsey said...

A great restoration, as usual, Kid. And the box repro as well. I must concur with TCJ that Fred does look to be straining, or in some discomfort. Germaloids should do the trick.

Kid said...

Thanks for the kind words, B. I think he also needs some Andrews Liver Salts to help shift whatever's troubling him. Too many dinosaur steaks in all likelihood.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...