Wednesday 28 June 2023

MIGHTY MOTH IN TV COMIC ANNUAL 1965...


Characters copyright relevant and respective owners

I bought the above TV Comic Annual for 1965 a week or two back and I've already added it to my previous Annual cover gallery post, but I thought I'd give it its own spot along with the Mighty Moth strips the book contains.  Mighty Moth is one of my favourite characters in any comic you care to name, and artist and writer (and editor) Dick Millington struck gold when he created the loopy lepidopteran.  So here for your enjoyment is the magnificent Mighty Moth from 1964/'65.

(Incidentally, the Annuals for 1964 and '65 were the only ones to feature both Supercar and Fireball XL5 on the covers, though the one for 1963 had Supercar on the cover.)  Click on images to enlarge, then click again for optimum size.








2 comments:

baggsey said...

I'd completely forgotten about Mighty Moth, Kid. Re-reading those strips brought back a few memories. Interesting to read a comic from 1965 which could easily have been from the mid-1950s from the way the characters are portrayed and the attitudes (all the women only being good for nattering and Dad making toffee to shut them up). Even the threat of a moth destroying clothes is from a world before synthetic fibres were commonplace. These old one-page comics are really time capsules in their own way.

Kid said...

I doubt the toffee strip would be allowed today, B, as publishers are so wary of offending anyone. Sure, women nattering is perhaps (emphasis on perhaps, considering the Loose Women TV show) an outdated stereotype these days, but I think such 'caricatures' should be allowed for the purpose of humour. You should search out the other Mighty Moth strips on my blog as some of them are really funny.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...