Thursday 10 September 2020

AN INSPECTOR CALLS... ARE YOU GOING TO BE IN? (UPDATED)...

Copyright relevant owner

I suppose it was during my last year at secondary school that the following event I'm about to relate occurred.  Well, the location is definite, but the year is an educated guess, arrived at from the fact that the timing would've been just right.  Several classes of potential soon-to-be school leavers (if my conjecture as to the year is correct) were taken to the science block's screening room to see a movie one day, the cinematic treat presented for our appreciation being An Inspector Calls starring Alastair Sim, and based on the play by J.B. Priestley.

Directed by James Bond stalwart Guy Hamilton, it's a tightly-woven morality tale of how one's every action has unforeseen repercussions that impacts on not just the individual accountable for them, but others as well.  No doubt its screening was intended to inculcate a sense of responsibility in our young minds to prepare us for our impending entry into the working world and justify our position among the ranks of 'adulthood'.  (Of course, it may be that it was routinely shown to all 15-16 year olds each year, regardless of whether they were due to leave school or not, as perhaps that was the age-group considered to be more receptive to the film's 'message'.)  

It's a powerful story, and is so masterfully constructed that you 'can't see the joins' as it unfolds before you.  By that I mean each event appears to be a random happening, totally unconnected to the one that precedes it and the one that follows, though slowly but surely we learn that they're all tied together and that, in life, everything we do has consequences, like the ripples caused by a pebble thrown into a pond.  The acting, lighting, direction, etc., are superb, and the music cues, especially those accompanying dramatic revelations, is extremely effective.

So if you've never seen the film, hunt it down now as it's a true classic (and available on dvd). The twist in the tale of the original play has been 'accentuated' to greater effect in the movie, and I can promise you that you'll be thoroughly entertained, as well as having your imagination stimulated and maybe even your mindset and behaviour affected in a way that's beneficial to not only yourself, but also those with whom you interact.

Hey, that's a movie well-worth seeing, don't you think?!  If you're already familiar with the film, feel free to agree with my assessment of it - or not, as the case may be. The comments section awaits your esteemed presence.

*****

Below, the actual screening room, in 2007 or '08, recorded for posterity (by me) 33-plus years after first seeing the movie.  It was projected from a booth at the back, though I no longer recall with any certainty whether it was straight onto the wall or a 'roller-screen' (the latter I think), but this was where an Inspector called back in 1974.  (See what I did there?)  Within a few months (at most) of this photo being taken, the entire school was demolished to make way for houses and flats, a new school building having already been built (and in use) on adjoining land.   

8 comments:

Kid said...

Well, I thought it was a great movie, same as me - er, you, Kid. (Now there's a surprise.) Has anyone else seen this film? Doesn't seem like it, going by the (lack of) response.

Colin Jones said...

I'm not sure if I've seen the film but I definitely know the original play because we studied it in school.

Kid said...

I've seen a couple of TV productions of it, CJ, but the movie is better. Sheer class.

McSCOTTY said...

I love Alastair Sim an excellent character actor. But sorry not a favourite of mine, I found the film really slowly paced and the dialogue stilted.

Kid said...

I wonder what age you were when you first saw it, McS? I'd say the pacing is necessary to help in the stage-by-stage development of the story (after all, it's not an action movie), which in turn accentuates the impact of each new revelation. Can't say I found the dialogue stilted, but it may be that it reflects its origins as a play. Time to give it another chance perhaps? (Might be on YouTube.)

McSCOTTY said...

Yeah that's a fair point Kid as the last time I saw that film I would only have been about 18. Always willing to rewatch anything with Alastair Sim.

Fantastic Four follower said...

It's a belter of a film. Caught it on a wet Wednesday afternoon with my mum(sadly passed) and we both thought it was great. A slow burner but a joy. Alastair Sim was a class act! As are you Kid. Happy, happy memories!

Kid said...

As Triple F says in the comment after yours, McS, it's a slow burner, but I'd say it has to be in order to develop the plot and make each new revelation more effective. And you're bound to enjoy Alastair Sim's performance if nothing else - he's on top form.

******

Thanks, Triple F, you're a class commenter (as are the others in this thread), and the movie is British film-making at its best. I must watch it again sometime soon.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...