Monday 30 September 2013

WHAT THE -- ?! COVER GALLERY - PART THREE...

 
Copyright MARVEL COMICS
 
Well, we're at the end of our short trip as far as looking back at 21 of the covers to the 26 issue run of WHAT THE - - ?! goes.  Hopefully you've enjoyed the journey, along with our occasional detours into NOT BRAND ECHH territory - I know I have.
 
Y'know, one of the most tedious comics I've ever read is FANTASTIC FOUR ROAST, published back in the early '80s.  I usually enjoy FRED HEMBECK, but it just went on forever and it seemed that it would never stop.  However, I suspect that not every What The - - ?! story was an unparalleled example of joyous jollity and could probably rival the unceasing turgidity of FFR.
 
One day I'll sit down and re-read them and find out for sure.  (I re-read Roast last year, and almost lost the will to live less than halfway in.  As I was reading it in the loo at the time, my legs had lost all sensation by the time I got through it.)
 
Anyone got any favourite stories from any of the featured issues that they'd care to recommend?  If so, feel free to share your picks in the comments section.
 







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For "What The" I would recommend issue 2's John Byrne's Superman v Fantastic Four. He also did a great Avengers parody in issue 6 (Byrne imho is a fantastic cartoonist). Any strips by Hilary Barta (especially his Punisher parody) are all very funny and most of Hembeck's stuff is good (I agree with you comments on the the FF Roast comic zzzzz) - you can't go wrong with the first 10 issues. For Not Brand Echh, well Marie Severin is always good and is in most issues, but as stated previously, Gene Colan's strips are worth checking out. He did a great Avengers one and a Doctor Strange, Deadman, Spectre parody, as well as a fun Capt Marvel one, but sorry, forget the issue numbers (issue 4 for the Avengers). I think Steranko did something for Not Brand Echh (slagging of Scotland, the wee jobby) but it was funny - McScotty

Kid said...

I'm not 100% certain, McS, but I think Steranko did the original story that the NBE tale parodied, but the actual parody was drawn by someone else. I've got both of them, but I'm not sure where they are at the moment, otherwise I'd double-check. I could be mistaken, of course.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...