Thursday 16 March 2023

ACTION & MYSTERY - I'VE GOT 'EM COVERED...


Copyright DC COMICS

Before we begin, just a brief explanation about my absence from blogging (aside from minor layout amendments to some old posts) for the last couple of months.  Had a few health and family care concerns to contend with, which have distracted my attention and sapped my energy and enthusiasm for writing anything new.  Matters still not fully resolved, but I've forced myself to write the following short post before you all start thinking I've fallen off the twig.  So here goes...

Regular readers may recall a post I published some years back about the true tale of a baby who was born five years after his mother's death.  I first read a reprint of the Simon & Kirby comic strip account of it in Black Magic #2, back in 1974, and a couple of years ago a commenter informed me that there'd been another, two-page version of the story related in The House Of Mystery #196 in 1971.  I recently decided I'd like to read it, but baulked at paying any of the rather hefty asking-prices that some issues are listed at on eBay - from as little as £20 to as high as £245 depending on condition.

Had it been a comic I really desired, I'd have bought a lower-priced copy, but I really only wanted to satisfy my curiosity about the two-page strip and couldn't justify to myself spending anything over a few quid on a mag that wasn't crying out to me to own, its Neal Adams cover not withstanding.  So I bought a coverless copy for a mere £1.75 just so that I could read the two-pager.  Then I decided to replace the missing cover just to make the mag more presentable, so sourced an image of the front cover online.

There were also glimpses of the ads on the interior and back covers, and I was fortunate enough to own a Superboy issue with those same ads, which luckily required some minor repair to the cover, justifying my careful removal of it it to fix, then scanning it to create a duplicate.  I printed out the front cover of HOM on glossy photo paper, attached it to a print-out of the Superboy cover, re-scanned it and printed it on high-quality white paper.  Had to play around with it to get it more or less the right size, but the end result was a complete issue with cover, though obviously my 'facsimile' isn't quite as sharp or as vibrant as an original.

A few years back I also acquired a coverless issue of Action Comics #352, which was a bit tatty and in need of 'tarting up'.  I've since replaced it with a superior condition copy, but was loath to simply discard its predecessor.  So I scanned the exterior and interior cover of the better copy, printed it out, then restored and repaired the tatty incarnation, resulting in a complete and acceptable condition reading copy.

I've included photos for your consideration, as well as the two-page tale which prompted me to buy The House Of Mystery issue.  Feel free to let me know what you think, and if you'd like to remind yourselves of the Simon & Kirby version of the tale, you can do so by clicking this link.  (Incidentally, the mags' original interior pages look a bit too yellowish in the following pics, but I think that might be the result of being photographed under fluorescent lights.)








And now, the two-page tale from The House Of Mystery #196, drawn by Wayne Howard.  (Click on image to enlarge, then click again for optimum size.)  Just like the Simon & Kirby account, this version attributes events as occurring in England, though Walter's mother gave birth to him in Edinburgh, so yet again, our American friends seemingly confusing 'England' as being synonymous with all parts of Great Britain.


21 comments:

lord mikolaj said...

Wow! I LOVE Wayne Howard! I loved his comic Midnight Tales for Charlton. Now I'll have to get this issue! Thanks!
And FANTASTIC cover repros! I have SO many coverless comics, that it would take me years to do what you did. I might just do the front covers, tho. A question: how did you attach your covers to the book then? With glue? Staples?
Glad to see you back. I look forward to every column of yours, even tho I rarely reply. THANKS for the great Wayne Howard art!

Kid said...

Thanks, LM. Both comics have their new covers held in place by their original staples, just as when first published. The Action Comics issue is peculiar, however, in that it had two sets of staples in the spine, though I've no way of knowing if both pairs originally went through the cover, as it's always possible that one pair (top and bottom) were inadvertently applied before the cover was. If you look closely at the interior images of AC, you can see the second set of staples in the comic's spine, though not through the cover. (Hope that makes some kind of sense.)

McSCOTTY said...

Good to see you back Kid, and I hope things get better soon , its been a bad year for you and yours so far.

Not a tale I would have personally hunted down myself but interesting none the less. I had forgotten all about Wayne Howard but LMs comments on Midnight Tales sparked my old memory banks, a top artist.

Excellent restoration work by yourself. Take care.

Kid said...

Thanks, McS, but I can't say at this point whether I'll be able to devote myself to the blog full-time, though I'll do my best to post something whenever I can.

My only interest in the tale was to see how it compared to the Simon & Kirby version, which I still prefer. Both accounts, however, take certain liberties with the facts. Scott's mother was interred in the family burial vault, and it was a lone Sexton who tried to rob her, not two grave robbers in the churchyard.

Must say I'm pleased that the two comics now have covers, as they seemed in a sorry state of incompleteness without them.

Big D said...

Great to see you back blogging Kid, you've been missed.
I wish you good health and hope things continue to improve for yourself.
Keep fighting the good fight and I'll keep enjoying your blogs.
Best Wishes,
Big D

Kid said...

Thanks, Big D. I'll do my best not to disappoint you all. Cheers.

Colin Jones said...

Glad to hear from you again, Kid :)

Kid said...

I know. Aren't I wonderful, CJ?

Mike Hood said...

Are you an expert in Superman lore? There are a couple of things in a Smallville episode that I'd like to ask about. (See my recent blog post on "Skinwalker"). In the comics:
(1) Were Kryptonians on Earth before Superman?
(2) If yes, did the Kryptonians make prophecies about Lex Luthor?
P.S. I know this isn't really a comment on your post. It's my only way of contacting you. Sorry.

Kid said...

I'm not, I'm afraid, as I lost track of Superman's (and Krypton's) history after John Byrne's run on the mag. There have been too many revisions and reboots since then to retain my interest. Plus, I never watched Smallville, but whatever history they devised for Krypton doesn't necessarily reflect what went on in the comics. However, one thing I can tell you (though you might already know) is that Superman was originally meant to be an earthman (well, baby) from the far-future, sent back in time to save him from a doomed planet Earth. Why Jerry Seigel changed his mind I don't know, as I think it was a better idea. (Maybe it was to avoid paradoxical ramifications on the time-stream, as Superman then could have been one of his own ancestors.)

baggsey said...

Welcome back, Kid! Great to see you're still on the blog train. That's an interesting story comparison, although the HoM version is bland compared to the Simon/Kirby version. I always found Kirby's style of artwork in those days on horror comics vaguely disturbing, and I'm sure this one would have given me nightmares if I'd read it as a youngster.

Great work on the comic cover restorations. I wonder if DC is taking this approach with its facsimile editions - finding old coverless copies and breaking out the photocopier and photoshop? They may be missing a trick.

One final thought - where's the T&P stamp on the HoM cover?

Keep on blogging!

Kid said...

Yeah, I much prefer the S&K version as well, B. I'd have been around 14 when I first read it, but I don't recall ever having any nightmares.

DC have actually scanned some published comics in order to produce a few facsimiles, though I don't think they've resorted to scanning covers yet. They DID scan (or photograph) covers for their DC Comics Classics Library of the Kryptonite Nevermore series in 2009 (the interiors were also scans), but it paled in comparison to the 2021 Anniversary edition of the same tales, which were all printed from newly coloured (after the originals) superior sources. As far as I'm aware, Marvel hasn't resorted to scanning comics for their facsimile editions, as most of the comics they reprint were already restored for the Masterworks, Omnibus, and Epic volumes.

As for the T&P stamp on the HOM cover - it didn't have one. Perhaps it was an American seller on eBay who I 'borrowed' the image from, don't remember.

Mike Hood said...

Thanks for your reply, Kid. In general the series creators (Al Gough and Miles Millar) remain faithful to the pre-2000 Superman lore. Al Gough says that his biggest influence was the "Superman for all seasons" mini-series. I'm just amazed by the prophecies, because that adds a spiritual/mystical element to the series which I doubt the comics had.

Maybe one of your blog readers can answer my questions.

Kid said...

Any Crivvies able to help out MH in his quest? If so, I'm sure he'd appreciate hearing from you.

******

Should have said in my reply to B about DC covers that although they haven't scanned or photographed front covers for their facsimiles (as far as I know), they have done on occasion with back and interior covers.

Kid said...

Oops - Jerry Siegel, not Seigel.

baggsey said...

Meant to ask, Kid - what paper stock do you use for your facsimile covers?

Kid said...

Canon Black Label Office A3 paper. The paper isn't glossy like the original covers, but I'm not too fussed about that. As long as the comics have covers to complete them, I'm happy.

Pete Hale said...

Hope things are better for you Kid!

That Dixie flag in that ad is weird. Felix and Wile E. Coyote there are cool! I'm happy to see when comics and the Golden Age of Animation coincided!

Kid said...

Thanks, PH. Things could be a lot better for me, but we shall see what we shall see.

Pete Hale said...

Good to hear!

Kid said...

Good to hear that things could be a lot better for me? Ah, you've been speed-reading, PH, haven't you? Never mind, I know what you meant.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...