Friday 20 July 2018

WHAT'S IT WORTH? NOT WHAT HE'S ASKING...


Characters copyright DC COMICS

Currently on sale on eBay, the seller says: "Can't say a lot.  Don't know a great deal about it... no rips or tears."  One of the pictures he shows reveals a tear at the bottom of the cover's crinkled spine.  Guess just how much he wants for this dog-eared, spine-creased comic without the original free gifts?  £180.  Considering he admits to not knowing much about it, we can surely be forgiven for thinking he's being a tad optimistic, to say nothing of opportunistic,  In short, a chancer!

I reckon if it was in pristine condition with the 3 free gifts, it might be worth a third of the asking price to a buyer seeking to complete the 14 issue run.  What do you reckon, readers?  (And in case you were wondering, I've already got this issue three times over.)

7 comments:

Philip Crawley said...

Your summation of this guy is spot on - where do these characters pull the prices from? (and the answer to that is not printable on a family blog!)I buy a lot of Dinosaur figures off eBay, well probably not as many as I used to; and it's not uncommon to scroll down a batch of search results for the same figure to see asking prices from kinda reasonable to "are you kidding?!" But the fact that this seller has posted a picture of the battered periodical so you can see what's on offer and still has the nerve to ask what he's asking - people eh.

pete doree said...

Heh. And it's just a b/w reprint, let's be honest. I love ebay and it's ridiculous prices - a while ago there was a chancer selling 'Gil Kane original sketches' with the phrase ' I've been told they're by Gil Kane but I don't know a lot about comics so don't even know who that is' Needless to say, they looked like something Gil's cat may've drawn by dipping it's tail in a bottle of ink.

Kid said...

I think the phrase "I don't know a lot about..." whatever item they're selling is so that they can claim innocence if ever accused of being 'rip-off' merchants, PC & PD. As in, "I didn't know it wasn't worth that, I thought old comics, toys, books, records, etc., (delete as applicable) were worth a lot of money." Or "I saw a similar type of comic (or whatever) go for the same price and thought mine would be worth that too. I don't know a lot about these things." Chancers every one.

pete doree said...

Absolutely.

Kid said...

I suppose there's always a chance he could just be an idiot, PD, who sees Superman on the cover of a #1 comic from the '60s and assumes it must be worth a lot. Chancer or idiot - though the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Anonymous said...

It baffles me why anybody buys this old stuff from so long ago. Let's live for today. I've just watched the DVD of "Black Panther" and I loved it. Merely owning this film connects me with my childhood, reading Panther's Rage in the pages of POTA back in 1975-76. I don't need to buy tatty old issues of POTA on e-bay.

Kid said...

If you can't understand it, CJ, no one could ever explain it to you. However, people can do both - live for today AND indulge their yearnings to re-acquire stuff (or replacements) from their youth. To each their own I say. And if you ever did buy anything on eBay, I'd hope you'd go for better condition stuff than 'tatty'.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...