Sunday 8 June 2014

SUPERMAN VERSUS OBELIX...


Images copyright DC COMICS

Well, sort of!  It happened in ACTION COMICS #579, back in 1986.  That figure with the sword on the cover is meant to represent ASTERIX The GAUL, though he doesn't appear inside (there is a reference to him, but not by name).  OBELIX, however, does appear (under the name of COLUMNIX) and goes toe-to-toe with SUPERIX (guess who?).  I won't spoil your enjoyment by telling you too much about this tale in case you want to hunt it down on eBay, but it's certainly one that deserves to be in your collection.

Remember when comics were fun?  This one sure fits the bill!  Written by R.J.M. LOFFICIER, pencilled by KEITH GIFFEN, and inked by BOB OKSNER.  It's a keeper (so I kept it)!




4 comments:

Unknown said...

I recall you mentioning this book in previous post so its really nice to see it - I'm really like Keith Giffens art (and writing) - this look excellent. i recall Action Comics) doing a similar story in the mid 70s with "Popeye" - Keith Giffen and J. M. DeMatteis wrote one of my favourite comics of the 80s, the Justice League (with Kevin Maguire art) the last time I think a comic was really fun and good.

Kid said...

I can't remember if I read the 'Popeye' story you mention, McS, so I'll have to look out for it. I bought Justice League as well and much enjoyed the humour in them. I must have a few years' worth of them sitting in boxes up in my loft, which I should dig out and re-read some day.

Anonymous said...

The Popeye parody, Captain Strong, appeared in Action Comics #421, #439, and #456 in the 1970's.

I liked the tongue-in-cheek Giffen run on Justice League. I also liked Inferior Five and Plastic Man in the Silver Age, and Shazam in 1973. But, these days, the official policy at DC and Marvel seems to be that everything has to be grimdark.

-TC

Kid said...

Thanks for the info regarding Action Comics, TC. The current tone of comics is probably why I don't buy too many these days.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...