Sunday, 2 January 2011

"FASTER THAN A SPEEDING BULLET..."


Aurora Superman kit - built and painted by me
Well, we've had
THE BATMAN, so
we might as well
have his good pal
SUPERMAN. In
an earlier post, I
featured the 1964
version of this fab
AURORA kit, so this
time 'round let's have
the 1974 version,
which had a few
differences. Mainly,
the nameplate was
omitted and, instead
of the "S" emblem
being moulded on the
costume and cape, a couple of adhesive labels were supplied. Also, the
copyright details on the base were updated.

Box art by James Bama or
Mort Kunstler?
Because of the contours of ol' Supe's
manly physique, the chest emblem didn't
really adhere too well - in subsequent
releases of the kit by MONOGRAM,
MPC, and REVELL-MONOGRAM (the
two companies merged in 1986), this was
overcome by the supply of waterslide
decals instead of stickers. For my own kit, I
merely hand-painted the "S" emblem in the
appropriate places. I also affixed a spare
1964 nameplate because, to my eyes, the
kit didn't seem complete without it.

Aurora really were the "bees' knees"
when it came to figure kits. The WORLD'S
FINEST, you might say.

Incidentally, the box to your right is
the one from 1964, not the 1970s - simply
because I think it's better. However, as I'm
known far and wide for my generosity and
consideration for others, for completists,
the '70s one is presented below.

The British version didn't have the
8 page comic, alas

2 comments:

Steve Does Comics said...

Wasn't there a Creature from the Black Lagoon one with a glowing head? I was always impressed by the idea of having a glowing head although I still can't see the evolutionary advantage in having one.

Kid said...

Yup - glow-in-the-dark head, hands and feet I think, plus maybe even a few other parts. That was the Aurora monster kits - when they were first released in the '60s they had a lightning bolt across the box with the legend "Frightening Lightning Strikes!".

Unfortunately, when stacked with the other models in shops, they were almost indistinguishable from the non-glow kits and a lot of kids were unaware of them.

Aurora rethought their strategy, which eventually led to the new square boxes for the kits with the "Glows-In-The-Dark" blurb on them.

I've got a non-glow Creature kit, but I haven't built it yet.