Tuesday, 15 September 2026

The MAN With TWO WILLYs...


Copyright relevant owner

Two Willy The Kid badges, that is.  There's a third one (though I'm unsure of their sequential order), which I intend to track down eventually, but if anyone has it and wants to sell, let me know.  Willy was created by Leo Baxendale, his first character after he quit comics around the mid-70s.  He produced three Willie books in all, though the third one had a print run of only around 10,000, compared to the first two, which were around 150,000 each.

It took me 31 years to obtain the third book, though I'd like to nab the third badge before too long, mainly because I don't know whether I have another 31 years ahead of me and I'd like time to enjoy owning it.  Funny thing is, although I have a large collection of badges, I never wear any - I just like to own them and look at them every now-and-again.  I really should've bought the trio of badges back in the '70s, but I intend to rectify this oversight as soon as I can.

Let me know if any of you Crivs would like to see any of my other badges and I'll dig 'em out.

4 comments:

McSCOTTY said...

Lol brilliant blog title Kid. I have one of the Willy books ( think it's book 2) but I can't say it's my favourite of Leo's work. I love the badges though . I used to wear a few badges in my late teens early 20s , mostly pop/ punk bands but think I had a Superman and a Batman logo badge. It would be good to see your badges though.

Kid said...

Perhaps not the finest examples of his art, McS, but I'd say, humour-wise, they were the funniest things he'd ever written. I remember laughing out-loud at the first Willy book. I'll do some posts on badges before too long.

Anonymous as well said...

Thought I'd message from Lake Garda in Italy, I needed to get my priorities right. I recognised that drawing style, didn't he draw 'Sweeney Toddler' in the 'Shiver and Shake' comic? Always received that comic annual every Xmas...great times.

Kid said...

He did indeed draw Sweeny Toddler in Shiver & Shake, AAW, who then appeared in Whoopee when the comics merged, and then in Whizzer & Chips, though by then the strip had been drawn by Tom Paterson in his pitch-perfect Baxendale style for quite some time. Treasury Of British Comics issued a collection of Sweeny Toddler a few years back, which is worth having.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...