Saturday, 3 October 2026

Gasp! ORIGINS Of MARVEL COMICS - 50th ANNIVERSARY Deluxe Edition (2024)...

Copyright MARVEL COMICS

How did I miss this one?  Published back in 2024, I only found out about it in the last few days and promptly ordered a copy, which arrived today.  This is the 50th Anniversary deluxe edition of Origins Of Marvel Comics by Stan Lee, including everything the book contained back in 1974 - plus a whole lot more!  Loads of bonus features, like articles, artwork, ads, interviews, reminiscences, etc., this is the only incarnation of this iconic hardback volume you'll ever want or need.

I thought perhaps it would use new proofs of these classic stories, but no - they're exactly as they first appeared in OOMC five decades ago.  Closely examining the pages, I suspect they've either been scanned or photographed from an actual 1974 edition, but it's been done to such a high standard it's hard to be certain.  All I know is that any obvious 'reconstruction' and retouches in the original version are also present here, but instead of being a drawback, it simply adds to the book's authenticity.

It's available on eBay (and perhaps Amazon - dunno, I haven't checked), so if you haven't already bought this valiant (and surprisingly heavy) volume, track one down right away.  I'd be surprised - shocked - amazed if you were disappointed.  The dustjacket is by Alex Ross, and on the boards is the original cover by John Romita Snr.  I've only had a cursory browse through this terrific tome so far, but its magical spell is irresistable, as it took me right back to the sizzlin' '70s in a heartbeat.

I'm not suggesting, I'm not hinting, I'm not asking you to consider it; I'm telling you - buy this book now!  (And your world will never again be the same.)  Incidentally, it's the deluxe edition I purchased, but softcover versions with no extras (same as the '74 printing) are also available.

5 comments:

Andrew L said...

I had the original book in paperback back in 1974. Don't recall throwing it away so I must still have it. Quite fancy getting this new edition in hardback. Amazon are listing Son of Origins new edition published in 2025 paperback only

Kid said...

There were a couple of square-bound cardboard covered magazines a couple or so years ago, called Origins Of Marvel Comics and Son Of Origins Of Marvel Comics, respectively. They had brand-new reprints of the tales contained in the originals, following the original colouring, AL, so maybe it's one of those recent mags on Amazon. The title of my post which features them is Crivens' Comics Cavalcade - Roll Up, Roll Up... if you'd like to check them out.

Andrew L said...

It appears to be a 256 page book published by gallery 13

Kid said...

Then I didn't know about that one, AL. However, the original one had probably the worst reproduction values of any Marvel reprint book I've ever seen. (There's a post on the blog about it.) If the Son Of reprint follows the pattern of Origins and reproduces directly from the book, then it's not worth having, Stan's reminiscences aside.

Kid said...

P.S. I mean the original Son Of book, AL, not the first Origins book



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...