Wednesday, 7 October 2026

ELECTRO - REPLACED By The SHOCKER!


The issue used, copyright MARVEL COMICS

Many moons ago, I bought via auction a first edition softcover of Origins Of Marvel Comics and noticed that its three Doctor Strange strips weren't reprinted in their correct sequential order.  His origin story was presented before his debut story, which followed the intro to the subsequent story, which didn't appear until after the Epilogue instead of before.  In short, someone royally screwed up.  The proper sequence of strips and intros was corrected for the second printing onwards, so I guess that was the one I had as I don't recall ever noticing anything untoward about the Doctor Strange section of the book at the time.

For some reason, I didn't keep my earliest copies (gave them to friends perhaps), but bought a fourth edition from a bookshop in Glasgow circa the late '70s, which is the one that Stan Lee autographed for me (along with a passel of other books) when I met him in 1991.  He was 69 at the time (coming up for 70), which scares the hell out of me as that means he was only around a couple of years older than I am now.  (Where did my life go?!)  However, there was another error in the 1974 incarnation of Origins, which I just learned about after buying the 50th Anniversary deluxe edition only recently, and it's as follows.

In the Spidey section, the back-up, more contemporary strip, was supposed to be an Electro story, but one featuring The Shocker was used instead.  The title was "Rocked By The Shocker!", so presumably someone thought this was the intended Electro tale and this is the one that was published.  When the mistake was discovered (after printing), was the wrong tale removed for future editions and the correct one substituted?  No, the text of Stan's intro to the tale was rewritten (presumably by Stan) and the original intended strip appeared in a later Spidey reprint book in the Fireside series, devoted to individual heroes.

The 50th Anniversary deluxe edition corrects the running order of the Doctor Strange stories (mentioning it in the indicia), but not the introductory exposition to the Spidey story, retaining the reference to the non-utilised strip.  This decision confused me, as I thought I'd have noticed this glaring error before now, having re-read my '70s edition several times over the years, but when I checked, I saw that the text had been rewritten for the second edition and all subsequent ones.  Cop a gander at what the first printing said, just in case there are any Marvel malcontents or incredulous Crivvies out there who steadfastly refuse to believe me...

In the episode that follows, you'll meet his gorgeous, star-crossed girlfriend, Gwendolyn, as well as the bolt-hurling Electro---just one of the countless colorful supervillains our dauntless hero dares defy.  You'll also see the now-classic "Spidey in the Laundromat" episode, as well as some evidence of Marvel's typical nontoken treatment of its many black characters.

The amended version reads...

In the episode that follows, you'll meet his gorgeous, star-crossed girlfriend, Gwendolyn, as well as the anti-social Shocker---just one of the countless colorful supervillains our dauntless hero dares defy.  You'll also see the now classic "Jameson Loses His Cool" episode, as well as some evidence of Marvel's typically untypical exotically exaggerated action scenes.

Like I say, I was previously unaware of this change until recently, which just goes to show you're never too old to learn something new.

The issue that should've been used

8 comments:

McSCOTTY said...

I never bought any of those books but that is a bit of a glaring error that especially when dealing with comic book geeks I would have assumed they would have been inundated with complaints. Both those Electro and Shocker takes are excellent though, love both their covers .

That's pretty cool getting Stan to sign your copy of the book a great memory for you .

Kid said...

As Stan himself used to say, McS, Marvel made many 'bone-headed boo-boos' - and he was right. Yes, getting to meet and chat with Stan was a lifetime moment for me and one I'll not soon forget (I hope). In later years, no one was allowed to touch him, but you've seen the photos of me and him doing 'the old pals act', so I met him at just the right time.

Colin Jones said...

Why was no-one allowed to touch Stan Lee. Kid? Had he ascended to godhood by then?

Kid said...

Long before then, CJ, but he was approachable and didn't charge for his autograph or photo. Then Convention organizers started to offer him a huge bung to appear and assigned him 'handlers'. Anyone who wanted a photo taken with him or an autograph had to pay for the privilege, and were instructed not to touch Stan or get too close. Stan usually sat on a stool and the fan would stand next to him, but with no contact. He was getting a bit frail by then anyway, so maybe it was to 'protect' him to a degree.

Anonymous said...

Quite an in depth piece there, Kid. Getting written stuff ordered's a hard enough task as it is, without comics being disordered, before we even start to write about them!

When I read your title, I at first thought: "That's strange - I've never thought about parallels between Electro, & the Shocker. It's so obvious, but I've never considered it!"

Pictures (not photos) of Stan in 1977/78 UK comics, with dark hair & 'tash (a swanky looking character), made him look late 30s, or 40. His age must exceeded that, by far, even then.

Phillip

Kid said...

Stan was born in 1922, P, so he'd have been in his 50s in the '70s. His hair, of course, was a toupee (the 'tash was real). I struggle nowadays to express myself in anything resembling a coherent way, so I'm glad you understood what I was trying to say.

Anonymous said...

I think you express yourself very well, Kid! Those pieces require significant focus, I know, and one's readers not responding, sometimes, is disheartening. So your efforts, in this one, have been noted!

Phillip

Kid said...

Thanks, P. Thing is, I have to 'feel' my way along when trying to say what I think, which results in some overlong sentences and paragraphs. When I know exactly what I want to express in advance of typing it, I'm much more concise.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...