![]() |
| Copyright relevant owner |
Well, I suppose I'd better do a post on comics before you forget what this site's supposed to be about and decide to bail out on me. I couldn't blame you if you did, 'cos some of my recent posts make for tedious reading, but it's cathartic for me and my chief way of addressing certain injustices perpetrated against me.
Anyway, TV21 #105 was the final issue of the 'New Series' direction of what had once been known as TV Century 21, which first appeared on newsagents' counters in January 1965 (cover-dated 2065). It had switched from its original title to simply TV21 with #155 in December (cover-dated January) 1968, and by the time of New Series #105 on September 1971, contained no Gerry Anderson-based strips, having been gradually phased out over the preceding months.
What's easily forgotten is that TV21 fearured a number of Marvel strips, Spider-Man and Silver Surfer among them. They didn't survive into the combined issue of Valiant & TV21 the following week and were hastily brought to unsatisfactory conclusions with this issue. Around a year and two weeks later, Marvel strips were resurrected in The Mighty World Of Marvel #1, and it's amzing just how many people now forget Marvel characters had still been appearing in a UK comic only 12 and-a-half months previously.
So, here are a few pages to remind you of Marvel's last stand in a UK comic by a British publisher, before 'official' Marvel took up the reins. Alan Class, of course, was still publishing his UK reprints, but they were monthly as opposed to weekly, and Class didn't resize and rearrange the strips in the way Odhams and IPC did.
Comments most welcome, Crivs. And don't forget to click on images to enlarge, then click again for optimum size. You don't wanna strain your eyes, do ya?!










'A problem shared is a problem halved', for me it's fine you expose those 'low lifes', if it helps you deal with this 'cruel' situation. Don't feel for once it's tedious, it's actually more frustrating that our chats cannot resolve anything for you. So Kid, keep sharing if it helps, I for one feel invested in your journey of injustice, so feel free to vent your anguish...I'm 100% sure your fellow Crivs are listening, or reading, as the case my be, and support you in solidarity over this...
ReplyDeleteThere's a risk some readers might believe these false allegations and that I'm employing a 'double-bluff' approach, AAW. Y'know, thinking no one would believe I'd reveal them to anybody if they were true. My trouble is I'm just too honest - it's a compulsion with me. That sometimes puts me at a disadvantage with those who have no compunctions about lying through their teeth.
DeleteYou've no gain to be had, by lying and the details you present speak for themselves. I personally believe you, from past posts you seem like a straight shooter, with a strong moral code of right and wrong, an admirable quality to have these days. 'The Kid is good!'
ReplyDeleteThanks for the kind words, AAW. What gets me is that the Home doesn't realise just how bad they're making themselves look with their bullying tactics and using a sick old woman as a weapon. Thickos, or what? Evil thickos as well.
DeleteI had forgotten that TV21 was publishing Marvel strips around 12 months before Mighty World of Marvel came out, in my mind it seemed like it was at least a 3 or 4 year gap between these 2 events . I was never a fan of the "new series" TV21 but I loved the Valiant comic at this time. Great to see those house ads for the merger along with that iconic news banner on the TV21 issue "Great News Inside"
ReplyDeleteSame as me, McS, it seemed like ages between the two comics. In my case, I wonder if that sense is increased by the fact I was living in another house when MWOM came out? As for "Great News Inside" - short for "Bad News Inside, Readers! Your Favourite Comic Is Ending Because Not Enough People Are Buying It!"
DeleteKid, it's timely that you mention MWOM #1 because next Tuesday (August 4th) we'll be the same distance from the day of my father's death (September 2nd 1999) as that day was from September 30th 1972, the day that MWOM #1 came out (not that I knew about MWOM #1 at the time as I didn't discover Marvel until POTA #5).
ReplyDeleteAs I've previously mentioned, until I started reading Crivens I was completely unaware that Marvel characters had appeared in British comics before MWOM #1.
And Tuesday August 4th 1987 was the official Tenancy commencement date of when we returned to this house after 4 years away, though we actually moved in early on Saturday 1st, CJ. Do you do anything on your dad's 'anniversary'?
DeleteNot usually but in 2024 on the 25th anniversary I bought a bottle of IRN BRU (because it's famously Scottish) and a wedge of Edam cheese which was my father's favourite cheese. By the way, August 4th was also the Queen Mother's birthday and it's Barack Obama's birthday.
ReplyDeleteIrn Bru? Blecchhh!! Horrible stuff, I don't drink it. Don't know if I've ever tried Edam cheese, CJ. My favourite is Red Leicester. What do you think - should I send the Queen Mother a birthday card this year?
DeleteSend one to Obama instead. I know you prefer Coke, Kid, but you should boycott Coke because of Trump.
ReplyDeleteEdam tastes rather bland in my opinion but my father seemed to like it. Both my parents liked watermelons too but I couldn't see the appeal.
I actually tend to drink Pepsi Max these days, CJ, though I've got a bottle of Coke Zero in my fridge at the moment. And just why should I (or anyone) boycott Coke because of Trump? 'Cos he drinks it? I hear he likes sex too - so should I boycott that because of him as well? (In the unlikely event I'm ever offered any.)
DeleteSo can you tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi, Kid, because I can't!
ReplyDeleteOh yeah, there's definitely a difference. Pepsi Max has a better taste than Coke Zero, which I sometimes think should be called Taste Zero. It has to be chilled to be worth drinking. (I feel so disloyal.)
Delete