Saturday, 26 September 2026

RECENT DC COMICS FACSIMILE EDITIONS...


Copyright DC COMICS

A couple of recent Facsimile Editions from DC Comics that you might be interested in, Crivs.  First up, above, V For Vendetta #1, written by Alan Moore and drawn by David Lloyd, and next, below, Superman #141, featuring classic tale 'Superman's Return To Krypton', written by Jerry Siegel and drawn by Wayne Boring.  Okay, you've had a heads up, now go out and buy them at the earliest opportunity.  You'd be a fool to miss them.

20 comments:

  1. I've just bought two pairs of Clark's shoes (one brown, one black) costing £99 each and a Casio watch costing £35 so I've got no money for comics at the moment I'm afraid. Are these particular comics special to you, Kid, or do you just buy anything that comes along?

    ReplyDelete
  2. £99 for a pair of shoes? I'd expect a three-piece suit as well for that price. And why do you need a watch, CJ, when you have a mobile where you can see the time? You should be saving your money for when you meet a woman who can steal it all from you. That's their purpose in life - to fleece men for all they're worth.

    Anyway, no these comics aren't particularly 'special' to me, but they're a window into the past, to a time I wish I was still living in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. None of these interest me I'm afraid.

    Colin, I'm using my money at present to buy petrol as the price of that is outrageous, and need to start saving for Christmas but £99 for a pair of Clarke's shoes is a pretty decent price , they last for ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a sign you're getting old, McS, showing no interest in comics like these. Where's your love of the medium?

      And decent price at £99? You pair obviously have far too much money to spend. Use it wisely and send some to me.

      Delete
  4. Kid, £99 may seem a lot for a pair of shoes but, as Paul says, Clark's make excellent shoes that last for many years and so they are totally worth the money in my opinion. I've still got a pair of Clark's shoes that I bought 20 years ago - the soles are rather worn and some of the stitching is coming undone but they are still useful for occasions when I don't want to wear my best shoes such as pottering about in the back garden.

    As for my new watch - I often don't have my mobile phone turned on so I need a watch. I bought my old watch (also a Casio) in July 2012 which means it's now been going for over 14 years and I thought I should get a replacement ready even though I still intend to keep using my faithful old watch for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I'm winding up both of you a bit, as I bought a pair of Clark's shoes (or maybe they're meant to be trainers) for £65 just a few weeks back, which is, I think, the most I've ever paid for a pair. They're Clark's own make of the kind of shoes you just push your feet into with no bother.

      I didn't buy my first watch (digital) until I started commuting to London when I became a freelancer for IPC in 1985, and that was also a Casio (I think). I bought it from Tandy for probably around a tenner, but I only wore it on my London trips so that I wouldn't miss my return coaches. I don't wear a watch now (except on very rare occasions) as I'm far too conscious of it on my wrist and find it uncomfortable. Don't wear so-called men's jewellery either.

      Delete
  5. The Superman comic is a bit before my time, I was barely born in November 1960 . I have V for Vendetta in the original Warrior format BUT I might consider that one next time I'm in town. I've still to read my last to Silver Surfer facsimiles .

    I like to have a watch as well as my mobile Kid just an item I always had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's from before I started reading comics, McS, but it has some smashing Wayne Boring art, though, to be honest, I already have a couple of reprints of it in some collected editions. Great looking interiors with original ads, so just had to have it. The V For Vendetta mag has some nice subtle colouring and is well-worth having.

      I was around my mid-20s when I started wearing a watch, though like I said, only when I travelled down to London on my weekly jaunts.

      Delete
  6. I remember getting a watch when I was about 9 years old as a sort of passage to being a wee boy. A Timex from the old Bothwell factory. I've had a watch ever since, not that I wear it all the time. Yeah male jewelry is an issue but I have to admit as a 19 year old I got my ear pierced, in my defence the ladies liked it and no I don't wear it now, not since my mid 20s.

    I do like Wayne Boring art all the same so might look at that as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, tick-a-tick-a-Timex, tra-la-la. When I was a teenager, I sometimes wore a bullet on a chain around my neck - or a mini Coca Cola bottle. 'Twas a short-lived affectation though.

      The colouring on the strip is nice, McS, they must've used proofs from a reprint where the colours had a tiny touch of depth.

      Delete
  7. You'd only be winding up Colin and Paul were they wearing analogue watches, Kid. I'll get my coat...

    Phillip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could've been quartz battery-powered analogue watches, P, which require no winding after initially setting them. Grab your scarf as well.

      Delete
  8. IMO "Superman's Return to Krypton" is the best story Jerry Siegel ever wrote, with some close competition from "How Luthor Met Superboy" and "Lois Lane's Super-Daughter." It's ironic that he wrote them under Mort Weisinger, who (according to Gerard Jones) demanded so many rewrites that Siegel wasn't earning much overall. I've toyed with the idea that some of the rewrites might have made the stories better, but Weisnger was not a "quality control" guy so far as I can tell; it's more likely the editor was just harassing Siegel to make him quit. Still, other writers in the same period were turning better scripts than I've found in other Super-eras-- such as Otto Binder and Edmond Hamilton-- so maybe I could credit MW with being a little more ambitious with the Super-books than he's been before. But though Siegel got better for a while, it didn't stick, because soon he was back to turning out a lot of slapdash stories for Mighty Comics and Gold Key, and even for whatever British company gave him a few stories with THE SPIDER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a story about Mort Weisinger having 'story conferences' with one writer, only to repeat it to another writer (or artist) as though it were his own, GP. At least I think it was him. As for The Spider, he appeared in Lion, which was a Fleetway/IPC comic, and the rumour was that Jerry created the character, though that was later revealed not to be true.

      Delete
  9. Yep, I definitely head the story about MW swiping other writers' proposals and then giving them to yet other writers. This certainly sounds counter-intuitive: wouldn't you think that an editor would get the BEST stories from the guys who conceived the ideas? But that goes to what I said about MW not being that much of a "quality control" guy-- which, in fairness, Jerry Siegel was not, either. Deep inside Mort, I imagine a 10-year old boy who was still mesmerized by the SF/pulp imagery he'd grown up with, but around that boy grew the shell of a nasty fellow who liked tormenting people to keep them under control.

    I think I read Siegel's SPIDER stories in a hardbound collection, and I don't think he did very many. They were okay, just typical "hired gun" stuff. And I should add that when JS was terminated by DC around '65, it was because he took them to court again for rights to you know who.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it was a way of saving money by not paying the guy who came up with the idea, and paying a lesser amount to the next guy who scripted MW's 'plot', GP.

      I always felt kinda annoyed at the number of times S&S took DC to court, after reaching agreements in which they 'settled' (gave up) any rights to Superman forever. Then they came back again. The amounts they received should've enabled them to live happily ever after.

      Delete
  10. On a separate subject, have you noticed on your blog that Google barely if at all is updating items in one's blog list? You can still get to the contemporary posts, but in just the past two months, Google barely ever loads the title of the last published post, whether it's an outside blog or one of my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'd noticed, GP. Some sites in my bloglist don't seem to update any more, while others do. Dunno what the problem is, but I wish they'd fix it.

      Delete
  11. This morning almost everything on my blog finally got updated, and so did the entry for my blog here. After about THREE WEEKS...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine has also updated, GP, though I haven't checked whether it's all of them or not. However, there's still a 25-30 second delay before the blog-list appears and it shouldn't take as long as that. Regular commenter CJ says it takes a few minutes at his end before it pops up, though it's not as long as that at my end.

      Delete

ALL ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED UNREAD unless accompanied by a regularly-used and recognized
name. For those without a Google account, use the 'Name/URL' option. All comments are subject to moderation and will
appear only if approved. Remember - no guts, no glory.

I reserve the right to edit comments to remove swearing or blasphemy, and in instances where I consider certain words or
phraseology may cause offence or upset to other commenters.