Monday, 17 August 2026

TWO GREAT MAGS AVAILABLE NOW!


Copyright MARVEL COMICS

Here's a couple of great comics that arrived today.  I already have an individual reprint of Spidey #100, as well as collected editions that include it, but it's nice to have an actual facsimile of the way the mag was originally published, ads, letters, and all.

Copyright DC COMICS

Also, the fourth and final issue of a four-part Swamp Thing tale intended for publication decades ago prior to the mag being cancelled before the story ever saw print.  Both these comics classics are a great addition to any collection, trust me.

Will you be buying either of these two mags?  Comments more than welcome.

18 comments:

  1. I remember the Spidey #100 story from when it was reprinted in SMCW but I wasn't really a fan of Gil Kane's art on the Spidey strip and I much preferred John Romita.

    Kid, are the Panini Marvel comics still around? You never feature them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I preferred Romita as well, CJ, but sometimes he inked Kane's pencils and made them look like his (Romita's) own art style. He also inked Buscema's pencils in a story called 'Rocked By The Shocker!' (I think) and again, it looked like Romita's art. Great visual storyteller was JR (and I don't mean Jim Reeves).

      I get the Panini/Marvel Fantastic Four mag every month, but I'm low on energy these days and don't do as many posts as I used to. I believe there's a Spidey one as well, but I don't buy it. There may well be others.

      Delete
  2. Is that the Spider-Man issue where Peter Parker grows extra arms and Morbius appears? I picked up a couple of the Panini FF comics recently ( that had the Neal Adams FF tale). It's a nice wee package although I don't get the need for Johnny Storms ridiculous "porn" moustache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the one, McS. I hope they do the next ish as a facsimile, too.

      Yeah, the moustache looks stupid and isn't something Johnny would go for, I'd have thought.

      I have the strong suspicion that an FF page was omitted from an ish a couple or so months back, due to space restrictions. I hope they're not going to make a habit of it.

      Delete
    2. That's the one as far as the extra arms go, I meant, but Morbius doesn't appear 'til another issue, possibly the next one.

      Delete
  3. When I wrote "I remember the Spidey #100 story" I really meant I remember the jaw-dropping final page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It defies logic, CJ, as he'd need extra shoulder joints (on his ribs) to be able to move the arms. They don't think things through, do they?

      Delete
  4. My birth certificate is 60 years old today. It's dated 19th August 1966 even though I was born on 17th February because a replacement certificate was needed when my mother wanted to add two extra names - Colin, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So what was your original first name again, CJ? I think you mentioned it once, but I can't remember. And does your first birth certificate still exist?

      Delete
  5. My original name was Roy and no, my first birth certificate no longer exists (it was returned to the registrar I assume).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is Roy short for anything, like Roylance?

      Delete
    2. And were you christened or baptised before or after the name change?

      Delete
  6. No, it's just plain Roy and I wasn't baptised at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HEATHEN! Repent at once and dook yourself in the bath while saying a prayer. Or you'll go to the bad fire.

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed this Swamp Thing '89 run, Kid. I loved the care that had gone into the right paper stock, colouring sytle, and era-appropriate ads, plus great to see that story arc that started circa issue #79 resolved. Great stuff.

    I read that the unpublished Swap Thing #25 (from the original run started by Wein and Wrightson) has been completed for publication in an hardcover "Swamp Thing: Dark Genesis Omnibus" later this year. No word if they intend to publish it as a stand-alone comic, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed a few 'f' bombs in the story, B, were they doing that in Swampy way back then? Yes, I enjoyed the 4 issues too. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for #25, as I already have the preceding 24 issues.

      Delete
    2. Can’t say I thought the f bombs were necessary, Kid, and I thought detracted from the era-appropriate approach they’d so carefully emulated otherwise. Perhaps Rick Veitsch had wanted to use more explicit language back in the late eighties, and now he had the chance to do so. But it didn’t add anything for me.

      Delete
    3. I agree with you, B, they were unnecessary and didn't add anything for me either. In fact, they spoiled it a little, and had they been left out, the series would've been perfect. One thing they did which I appreciated was show respect for Jesus Christ. I imagine Tony Isabella would be hacked off, 'cos Jim Shooter nixed his (TI's) plans to use Christ in Ghost Rider.

      Delete

ALL ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED UNREAD unless accompanied by a regularly-used and recognized
name. For those without a Google account, use the 'Name/URL' option. All comments are subject to moderation and will
appear only if approved. Remember - no guts, no glory.

I reserve the right to edit comments to remove swearing or blasphemy, and in instances where I consider certain words or
phraseology may cause offence or upset to other commenters.