Sunday, 30 August 2026

NO NEED TO WONDER - SHE'S DEFINITELY A WOMAN (Even Though She's Made Of Plastic)...


Copyright DC COMICS

I always find it fascinating how some things are indelibly associated in our minds with certain places from years before.  For instance, I first saw an ad for Aurora's Wonder Woman plastic model kit in a b&w mag at the end of the '60s or start of the '70s.  I've never forgotten it, and whenever I see it (or the model) today, I'm right back in the living-room of the house my family lived in at the time.  It's not unusual (as Tom Jones would say), because first impressions are usually stronger, and that was the first time I'd ever seen the model, albeit in printed form.

Some Aurora kits have been reissued over the years, by Monogram, RevellMPC, Polar Lights, Moebius, Atlantis, and Monarch, usually using the same box art as the original versions, with a logo strongly resembling the Aurora oval, or, in the case of Atlantis, a big letter 'A' with the company's name through the middle.  Some models have also been reissued in repro boxes bearing the original Aurora logo and I have four of them, being Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman, and The Forgotten Prisoner - all as yet unbuilt and still in their boxes.

Then there's my collection of originals, including Frankenstein, Superman, Batman, Forgotten Prisoner, Superboy, and possibly others.  The superhero models were first issued in the '60s, and again in the '70s, and in a few instances, I have both versions.  The '70s incarnations had some slight amendments to them (name signs omitted and bas-relief emblems removed from capes and costumes and replaced with decals or adhesive labels), along with new box art.  Also, the '70s Batman kit no longer had an owl for atop the tree Batman swung from.

Back in 2010, Moebius reissued some superhero models and I bought the Superboy one (as yet unbuilt), though dithered over buying the Wonder Woman model, with it disappearing from sale before I'd made up my mind.  Now, however, my indecision has been remedied, due to me seeing one on eBay recently at an extremely attractive price and buying it immediately.  I got it for a tiny fraction of the one currently up for sale with an asking price of £516.70, so didn't I do well?!  There's another Moebius one also available for only £34.95, as well as an original Aurora for £699.99.  (Talking of indecision, I used to think I was indecisive, though now I'm not so sure.)

The original kit's figure didn't have a belt like in the comics, so Moebius have added one to make it more authentic to the comic strip version.  I haven't removed the shrink-wrap and opened the box, though it's entirely possible I never will, as I own quite a few unassembled model kits bought over the last 30-35 years or so which are at the front of the queue (though at the back of a cupboard), Creature From The Black Lagoon and Phantom Of The Opera among them.  Maybe one day, eh?  

Any of you Crivs ever have any of the models listed in this post?  What happened to them and do you ever miss those long-gone plastic pals from childhood?  Reminisce to your heart's content in the comments section.  And if you'd like to see some of my own built-and-painted Aurora (and reissue) kits, simply type Aurora into my blog's search box, then scroll down through the results and feast your eyes.  They're spread over several pages and interspersed with other posts where their name is mentioned.

33 comments:

  1. What seems like a lifetime ago (probably because it actually was a lifetime ago) I had the Aurora Frankenstein’s Monster and The Mummy kits. Built straight from the box and now long gone. Now my unbuilt model stash consists of armour, planes and cars. Only 6 years until I retire (hah!) and then I’ll still not manage to build them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there never seems to be enough time anymore to do much of anything, apart from sleep and eat. I'm sure 24 hours used to last a lot longer when I was a kid.

      Delete
    2. True that. I’m actually struggling to drag my girthy carcass up into the loft now (where most of my stuff is ‘stored’), so I may need to invest in a proper set of loft ladders. However, the long-haired general is resistant to this idea due to the fact that it might cost money, so it may take me falling through the open hatch like a fleshy meteorite to get something in place. I have been assured though that if I do end up hurting myself she will write for an ambulance. And may even put a stamp on the envelope.

      Delete
    3. I need to visit the loft myself, but due to atrophying legs, it's easier thought about than done. And I've actually fallen through the loft hatch when my ancient ladders broke when I was standing atop them. Ouch. Nice to know your long-haired general is so considerate of your needs should an accident befall you. It must be a great comfort. Would she use a 1st or 2nd Class stamp if she decided to use one?

      Delete
  2. There may be an unfranked stamp lying around that was steamed of a postcard her mother sent her while on holiday in Malta.
    In 1996. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or maybe she could just draw one herself in the corner of the envelope? That should do it.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Anonymous as well30 August 2026 at 16:54

      The original Aurora box art transports me back in time, to when the packaging was also part of the thrill of owning the kit, 'amazing looking products'. Modern packaging is souless, as are the items within. I do still own the original but built, Aurora 'Spiderman' kit, as well as various 'Monsters Of The Movies' and 'Prehistoric Scenes' kits. I'm currently purchasing the Atlantis re-issued versions, when available, purely down to the packaging mainly and the endorphin fix it gives to own it boxed again ... Kid have you looked on 'Staractionfigures' website? There's a company range called 'Super7' that recreates many old, and some new figures from retro TV shows and comics...They've even created a minature figure of the Aurora glow in the dark 'Gozilla' kit, complete with original box art.

      Delete
    2. In the '60s, original box art was (as you say) one of the reasons which made certain toys so attractive to kids. Corgi Toys, for example, seemed much more interesting when the contents were illustrated on the box, rather than using a photo or placed in generic window boxes. Haven't looked at that website you mention, though I'll be sure to do so before too much longer.

      I've just bought the Atlantis Glow-In-The-Dark Forgotten Prisoner model kit, even though I already have two (or maybe three - forget) non-glow versions of it, one of them built and painted. The first one I had as a 12 or 13 year-old kid had luminious parts and I wanted to own them again.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous as well30 August 2026 at 18:34

    They're great kits by Atlantis, they even try to match the colour of the original kits construction plastic, great choice there! Staraction have a original design 1966 TV show Batmobile, also a Andersons Collection 'Troy Tempest' 3.75 figure, only £12.95 and your all time favourite, 'Joe 90'? 'Snigger!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate the speccy wee sissie - get thee hence to a nunnery! I see Corgi are reissueing the red tyred Batmobile - might get it. (Might not.)

      Delete
  5. Anonymous as well30 August 2026 at 18:54

    I'll wait for your 'soon to be' post, when you might/might not, probably will, buy it then? "heh heh".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meant to say, I've already got the Troy Tempest figure, as well as 'Phones' Sheridan, Captain Scarlet, and Scott Tracy. Bought them from The Official Gerry Anderson Store yonks ago. And don't worry, if I buy the red-tyred Batmobile, you'll see it here on the blog.

      Delete
  6. Are these the models that had a comic included with them, if so do the reproduction models come with the comic strips as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only the US square box versions of the superhero kits from the mid-'70s (though I don't know if Wonder Woman was reissued back then) had a comic with them, but not the UK square box versions, McS. The 'reproduction' models from over the last 20-odd years don't have the comics as far as I know.

      Delete
  7. RE: Shed's long-haired general's stamp reluctance.

    About 45 years ago, my father gave my brother a book entitled, "Eddie & the Gypsy" (a very old, late 1930s/early 40s book.) one of the story's characters recommended a simple solution to lack of a stamp. Just lick your thumb, and make a smudge mark on your envelope, where the stamp should be. Then, your friendly postie assumes the stamp became loose, and fell off !

    Unfortunately, that handy (but extremely dishonest! ) trick wouldn't work, in modern times, with peal-off adhesive stamps, which never could 'drop off ', anyway. Plus, with the post office a capitalist, corporate entity, such kind sympathy isn't there for naughty boys to take advantage of!

    Phillip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it, P. I've had cards through the door saying the sender didn't pay enough postage and I'd have to pay the difference, even though the sender paid exactly what was asked of him at his local PO after the parcel was weighed. It was around 20-odd quid or more, which I claimed back when I sent them a scan of the sender's PO receipt. Didn't get cash though, was sent it in stamps, for just a slightly higher value. I've also had cards telling me I owed a couple of quid 'cos the sender paid for a 'small' letter instead of a large one. However, it was only large if the postie put it through my letterbox sideways (which they never do) instead of longways. Capitalist, corporate entity indeed - with knobs on!

      Delete
  8. Kid - A few years ago, I posted a copy of my book ( either to a paper, Bookseller, or the Times Literary Supplement? I forget), recorded delivery, hoping it would be reviewed. Instead, the padded envelope got returned to me, in the post, damaged, with an apology note from Royal Mail. Maybe they tried to ram my package through a diminutive letterbox! I inquired about compensation, but Royal Mail said no chance!

    Phillip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So the book wasn't inside the padded envelope? I'd have thought you'd have been entitled to a refund of your postage costs at the very least. I remember receiving an empty padded envelope back around the mid-'70s which should've contained Origins Of Marvel Comics but didn't. Couldn't have been stapled too well at the top.Anyway, wrote to Marvel UK, and Neil Tennant sent me some goodies and said he'd send the book when he got more in. And he did, good man that he was. (And probably still is.)

      Delete
  9. Kid - My book was returned, but slightly damaged. The cost of my posting it, with bubble wrap, etc, wasn't cheap, though. I thought maybe the Royal Mail could have offered to re-post it, for free! The only gentlemanly reply I got, when posting my book around, was from the Fortean Times editor (although they didn't review it, either.) But, at least he was civil! I got some goodies from FT once, after sending something to the magazine. As I said before, a good bunch.

    Phillip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What was the name of the book you wrote, and was it your only one? If you fancy doing a guest post about it on Crivens, just let me know.

      Delete
  10. Thanks, Kid! The book's name is 'Marvel Comics Were Fun!'

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/MARVEL-COMICS-WERE-Phillip-Beadham/dp/B0D9HK1H7X

    It's my only one, as yet. Maybe I could improve it, add a few more articles, and republish it as a second edition!

    Phillip

    ReplyDelete
  11. My book's name is 'Marvel Comics Were Fun!', and it's my only one, as yet:

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/MARVEL-COMICS-WERE-Phillip-Beadham/dp/B0D9HK1H7X

    Thanks, Kid!

    Phillip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No bother at all. I'm off to look at that link now, but like I said, if you want to plug your book in a post on the blog, let me know.

      Delete
    2. I mean in an actual post, not just in a comment.

      Delete
  12. I'll give some serious consideration about how best to do it. Thanks again, Kid.

    Phillip

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kid, Neil Tennant must be the only gay man you have a good word for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? He's gay? Aaaaaarrghh!!

      I already knew that, CJ, but what you say is hardly fair. I enjoy the music of Tchaikovsky, the wit of Steven Fry, the chat shows of Graham Norton, and I don't let the fact that you're a big Welsh poofter (guffaw!) prevent me from publishing your comments. So how can you say Neil Tennant is the only gay I have a good word for?

      Delete
  14. In my defence, Kid, you've never said you liked Tchaikovsky, Steven Fry or Graham Norton!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And in MY defence, CJ, I have actually said that before, in a comment on the blog somewhere, if not an actual post. So, your mission, should you decide to accept it... (Cue Mission Impossible theme.)

      Delete
  15. I can only grovel and beg forgiveness, Kid! Anyway, congratulations on eventually receiving your copy of Origins Of Marvel Comics from Neil Tennant - whoever would have imagined he'd become a big pop star only a decade later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get up off your knees, CJ, I hate to see a grown man grovel. (A grown woman on the other hand...)

      Delete

ALL ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED UNREAD unless accompanied by a regularly-used and recognized
name. For those without a Google account, use the 'Name/URL' option. All comments are subject to moderation and will
appear only if approved. Remember - no guts, no glory.

I reserve the right to edit comments to remove swearing or blasphemy, and in instances where I consider certain words or
phraseology may cause offence or upset to other commenters.