Monday 25 January 2021

CHILDHOOD CAPERS - KEEP ON TRUCKIN'...

 Even when you're a little horse...

I guess it must've been around 1968 or '69 - possibly even '70.  I was out in my back garden with two friends, Alex and John, one a primary school classmate, the other a slightly younger neighbour from two doors along, who took a shine to a beat-up tin truck my father had brought home one day after finding it abandoned by the side of a road a few months earlier.  It might've been a Tonka truck, not sure, but John coveted it mightily, which surprised me, as it was hardly in pristine condition.  It had a little lever that, when you pushed down on it, lifted the back of the truck at an angle so that it could deposit whatever load its owner had chosen for it to carry.

Anyway, John offered me his Marx Toys Johnny West Palomino horse (called Thunderbolt) as an inducement for me to part with my truck, and I accepted.  It was his idea, absolutely no pressure from me, and he seemed delighted with the swap.  Truth to tell, I half-expected him to chap my door at some stage and say that his parents demanded that he get his horse back, but it never happened.  However, there was no denying that I got the better end of the deal.  I think this occurred on a weekend, so imagine my surprise then, at school on the Monday morning, when Alex had a verbal go at me in front of a few other classmates for 'swindling' John out of his horse in exchange for my battered old tin truck.

Of course I denied his accusation, pointing out that he was wrong and that it had been John who had initiated the swap, even insisted on it, but he remained unswayed in his conviction - even though he had been there and witnessed the actual course of events.  I was completely mystified by his attitude, and I've occasionally pondered it over the years, wondering if it was simply jealousy that I'd got such a great deal and he hadn't, even though he'd evinced no desire to own the horse himself.  What took me aback about his attitude is that Alex was (and still is) as fine a person as you could hope to meet, so his 'outburst' was uncharacteristic, hence my surprise.

Anyway, I still occasionally run into Alex, so the last time it happened (at the beginning of December) I asked him whether he remembered the incident with a view to solving the 50-plus year mystery that had always so perplexed me.  No joy - he simply had no memory of it happening at all.  Something that I didn't previously know though, and only found out while talking with him, was that his younger brother was once a friend of John's, though I'm not sure whether that was the case at that particular time or didn't happen until later, in teenage years perhaps.  However, back home, it started me speculating, so here is a possible scenario for Alex's ire back when we were kids.

Let's consider that Alex's brother and John were indeed friends at the time this incident transpired.  Perhaps Alex's brother had himself coveted the horse, and had either heard of the swap from Alex, or had been told by John himself.  "What?! Are you mental, swapping your horse for that battered old thing!"  Maybe Alex had adopted his disgruntled brother's attitude by the time school rolled around on Monday morning and that's why he was suddenly so annoyed at a swap that didn't seem to perturb him in the slightest on the day it happened?  He was merely showing loyalty to his brother and his sense of aggrievement.

I guess I'll never know, but the above imaginary scenario is quite a reasonable one, don't you think?  I moved to another area in 1972 (3 or 4 years after the swap, maybe even earlier than that) and lost contact with John, but we ran into one another in 1978 or '79 (maybe '80) and I invited him back for a coffee to catch up on old times.  I still had Thunderbolt, which I showed to him, but he seemed completely uninterested in it; he certainly had no desire to retrieve it from me.  And guess what?  I've still got Thunderbolt, as well as another two Palominos and a sort of 'Piebald' horse from the same mould as Thunderbolt.

I've even got Johnny West and Chief Cherokee to go with them, plus Cowboy Kid and Cherokee Chief, which were released by Dapol around the early '90s or so, made from original Marx moulds.  I paid cash for two of the other horses, plus the latter figures, so at least no one can accuse me of swindling anyone out of them.  My conscience is clear.

Funny the things we remember, eh?  Or don't, in Alex's case.  But guess what - I wish I could find a replacement for that old tin truck.  It's taken more than 50 years, but I suddenly realise that I miss it.

No, this isn't the exact same truck I had as a kid, but it's kind of similar.  I borrowed the
pic from the Internet just to show you what mine was (sort of) like.  I can't recall whether
it had 6 wheels or 4, and I think the cabin was higher than the 'container' at the back

12 comments:

Philip Crawley said...

Great recollection - if you ever want to write your memoirs you just have to collect together in chronological order blog entries such as these.

It did occur to me as I read this, before reaching the end, that at some point you'd feel the need to get hold of one of those trucks!

Kid said...

That's an idea, PC. But would anyone ever want to read them? In a book I mean.

As for the truck - yeah, I sure am predictable!

McSCOTTY said...

Always a tricky situation when Adams a kid you swap an less valuable toy for a better one. I remember swapping a few US comics and 3d (1)1/2p) for a couple of those cheap kids tattoos ("dabbaties" large sheets of cheap tattoo things) The guy was a lot older than me and my dad got my comics and 3d back giving him in return a fresh sheet of " dabbaties" that cost 1/2d). The guy that swapped with me was a total creep then and in later life but I learned from that lol

Kid said...

I daresay the truck, when it was new (not that I got it new) was probably worth more than the horse - or at least as much, but the horse was in better condition. I suppose John saw better play value in the truck so in that sense he wasn't robbed, but as I'd got the truck for nothing, I felt that I was ahead in that little transaction. John certainly wasn't complaining so Alex didn't really have a right to. As I said though, he's an excellent fellow - even bought me something to eat and drink back in December. Let's see, I made a note of what it was - Whiskas and Domestos - lovely fellow. (Nah, it was Onion Rings and Coke.)

McSCOTTY said...

Lol - I like the cowboy and horse but as a kid (sorry that came out as "Adams" in my last reply) I would have preferred a truck as well. I forgot how important swaps were when we were kids I remember swapping marbles (bools) and the ones that won games ( got lots of "keepsies" ) were "worth" more than normal marbles and of course large marbles and those withdifferent colours to the norm were highly prized for swaps. Simpler times.

Kid said...

Simpler and better times I'm obliged to say, McS. Our parents didn't have to spend 100s or 10000s of pounds to keep us supplied in things that amused and entertained us. I've still got a couple of bags of marbles somewhere.

Phil S said...

The Marx toys were the best! I loved their knights even if that armour kept breaking off.

Kid said...

Unfortunately, the accessories for all the Marx figures were a bit fragile, PS. I sometimes think we regard some toys so fondly because they were part of our childhood, and not always because they were the greatest examples of their kind.

Rip Jagger said...

Seriously jealous here. I well remember looking at those Johnny West toys in the Sears catalogue and craving them as the Christmas holiday approached. I never got them, they were just a bit too much I guess. I had to do with Major Matt Mason, a pretty decent back up. But those displays were awesome!

Kid said...

Apart from Thunderbolt, I never had any of the Johnny West line until the late '80s or early '90s, RJ, when I was in my 30s, so it's not too late for you. I DID have Callisto, Sgt. Storm, and maybe even Doug Davis when I was a kid, but my Matt Mason was secondhand, the result of a swap. I've since replaced them all of course, and now have more MM stuff than I did back then.

Graham said...

I didn’t have the Johnny West characters, but they had a set of knights and Vikings around the same time. The horses were the same for both series. Loved those. There was a nice castle that went along with it that was really big.

Kid said...

Someone I know who had the knights as a kid told me that one knight looked like Sean Connery and another like Roger Moore. I saw photos of one of them in a book years ago, and there was certainly a likeness to Sean. I'll have to see if I can cop a gander at the other one somewhere.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...