Saturday 7 November 2020

FOUR GREAT NEW BOOKS FOR YOU TO BUY - GOING CHEAP...

Beano Annual 2021 - Dennis's 70th...

Images copyright respective owners

WHS are selling two Annuals for a tenner at the moment, and though they might be cheaper elsewhere (and will get even cheaper on the run-up to the New Year), I decided to grab them while they were readily available so that I don't have to hunt them down later in different shops like I did last year.  There's an anniversary theme in two of them, as it'll be 70 years since Dennis The Menace first appeared in The Beano back in 1951, and Rupert Bear will be 100 years old tomorrow (Sunday).

If you were to buy these books at the publishers' prices, you'd pay a whopping £48.96, whereas if you buy them in WHS, you'll pay only £20 for all four.  What's not to like?  Anyway, get yourself along to the shops tomorrow (if you're allowed, and if they're open) and buy yourself a lovely Christmas present.  Or I suppose you could always purchase them for some friends or relatives if you prefer, but I'm not that generous.  These four beauties are for me! 

(Incidentally, if you only want The Beano book, it can be had for a mere £2.99 from Home Bargains.)

Oor Wullie & The Broons...


Beano & Dandy Dudley D. Watkins Celebration...


Rupert Annual #85 Happy 100th Birthday...


10 comments:

McSCOTTY said...

Only the Dudley D Watkins book intrigues me so may consider picking that up. Did Dudley draw Dennis the Menace?

Kid said...

He drew him on the front and back covers of the first Dandy/Beano Summer Special (which is where that illo of Dennis comes from) and may well have drawn him on other occasions in a group of Beano characters, McS, but whether he ever filled in for Davy Law on the actual weekly strip, I don't know (though Leo Baxendale did).

Colin Jones said...

I must say that Rupert looks amazing for 100. I can only assume he uses Oil Of Ulay on a regular basis :)

Here in Wales our lockdown ends on Monday but my local WH Smith's closed in 2014.

I hate the title BEANO - it should be THE BEANO again!

President Biden, yay!!!

Kid said...

It was a pointless change, instituted by people with an impoverished imagination, CJ. "Hey, if we call it Beano instead of The Beano, circulation is sure to soar!" I'll bet readers still call it The Beano when they ask for it in a shop (if they can't see it), they don't say "Have you got Beano?"

Dave S said...

I'm intrigued by the Watkins book. Might well be on my shopping list next time I'm at WHS (I'm working from home these days, and do miss my lunchtime browsing in the shops! I'll need to make an effort to get into town though, as there's a facsimile edition of Avengers 57 out that I want to get my grubby little mitts on.)

Kid said...

It's a nice book, DS, containing some colour pages as well as b&w. I pre-ordered that Avengers mag a while back, just waiting for it to arrive.

rob diablo said...

I Got My Avengers on sat..its pretty good, the usual standard of Facsimile issues, i must pick up that Dudley Watkins book too, as i have a few of the Beano/dandy special reprints.
I had a Rupert annual from 67-74, then i stopped, i think i thought I'd Grown out of it, or it no longer interested me, Lovely Artwork though, and when i see the covers it reminds me of dark Xmas Mornings with the Living room light on Opening Presents.

Kid said...

Regarding Rupert, one 'tradition' I wish they'd abandon is leaving his head and hands uncoloured inside the book as it makes him look like a polar bear. The forests have colour in them, so there's no reason these days for Rupert being left uncoloured.

Dave S said...

I bought the Watkins book today, and it looks really good- some of the biblical stories he drew look great and its fantastic to see book covers he illustrated too.

Btw Kid, did you know there is a reprint of the complete Ron Turner Dalek strips out this week? The WHS I was in didn't have it yet, but it looks like a thing of beauty and I hope to find it soon.

Kid said...

Yeah, the Watkins book is a nice little addition to anyone's collection, DS. I know about the Richard Jennings, Eric Eden, and Ron Turner Daleks Bookazine, but I was going to wait until I had my hands on a copy before posting it on the blog, just in case it never reached the shops. My local WHS didn't receive their newspapers or any magazines today, so I'm hoping it will be in tomorrow.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...