Thursday 12 November 2020

BEFORE AND AFTER - IS IT A MIRACLE?

Seller's photo...

 
 
As I've modestly said before, I sometimes amaze myself with my brilliance.  (Why are you all laughing?)  As proof, I now offer visual evidence in the form of 'before and after' photos.  As you know, I recently bought a Bible to complete my set of 17 colour illustrations by Jack Hayes, but the slipcase was a little the worse for wear.  I was never going to be able to restore it to pristine condition, but it was certainly within my abilities to improve its appearance to a higher level, so that's exactly what I did.  Don't believe me?  Then take a look for yourself.  (Click on images to enlarge for greater detail.)

Buyer's photo (that's me, folks)...

Seller's photo...

Buyer's photo...

 
Any Crivvies wishing to shower me with paeans of praise in the comments section should now form an orderly queue.  (That'll be no comments again then.)

9 comments:

Philip Crawley said...

Nice job indeed. Perhaps not everyone has either the confidence or the skills to tackle such projects but as one who has also done some restoration work on the odd purchase that has not travelled well down the years, shall we say, it can be very satisfying to see these things brought back a tad closer to 'showroom condition'.

John Parker said...

Miraculous!

But seriously, it looks like a good job.

Kid said...

Thanks, PC and JP. The Bible seems a bit small, height-wise, for the slipcase, though the codes on both are an exact match. (Spine width is okay.) I had to put a cardboard insert inside the back, and top and bottom to make it fit a bit more snugly, but I'm fairly pleased with the overall result. I bought it mainly for the two illustrations omitted from my replacement ruby red cloth covered (with dustjacket) edition, but if I can ever get an exact duplicate of the very first one I had, I'll be having that as well.

Phil S said...

Oh nice work.

Kid said...

Thanks, PS.

Colin Jones said...

We've seen your restoration jobs before, Kid, and you have an admirable artistic skill!

Kid said...

Ta, CJ - I certainly admire it (modest as I am.)

Lionel Hancock said...

You have done an excellent job. Very very impressed. 10 out of 10

Kid said...

Thanks, LH. It's certainly better than it was.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...