Wednesday 25 November 2020

AGAIN - THE DALEKS...

Calculate... calculate...

Copyright BBC TV and the Estate of TERRY NATION

Finally, my local WHS got two copies of The Daleks Special in today.  One was gone by the time I arrived, but I snagged the other one, thereby adding to my collection of this very desirable publication.  (Ah, but how do I know there were two?  Simple - I asked how many copies they'd got in.)  No, I'm not going to put spare copies on eBay at extravagantly-inflated prices, I'm just so bowled over by this magnificent Bookazine that I want as many issues as I can get.

The strips within have been reprinted before, one story appearing in a Mighty Midget Doctor Who free gift in the first issue of Mighty TV Comic in 1976, then in the '77 and '78 Dalek Annuals (one tale was in b&w).  Also The Amazing World Of Doctor Who '77 'Annual', then Doctor Who Magazine in 1980, first in b&w, and again in colour in the early '90s, before switching to Doctor Who Classics.  All 104 strips were also collected in a 1994 Special, but this latest presentation is by far the best yet. 

I happened to be lettering some Doctor Who strips for Marvel back in the '90s, at the same time as The Daleks were being reprinted, and it was a thrill to see pages that I remembered from childhood in the same mag that had my name inside.  So vivid were my memories of them that I could actually recall at which points along my route to school I'd originally read many of the early pages, and it was almost like I was 6 years old again.

And that's the same sensation I had while reading this Special - I was mentally retracing my journey to my first primary school, having bough the latest TV Century 21 from a newsagent's called Chambers, just around the corner from my house.  What's odd is that after about 42, possibly 43 issues, my family moved to another house in a different neighbourhood and I started a new primary school, yet whenever I look at the pages, I seem, in memory, to associate the remaining 61 or 62 Daleks pages with the previous house and neighbourhood, even though I was no longer living there when they were published.

Perhaps that's because the living-room of our new house, although slightly smaller, was the same layout as our former one, so any difference wasn't pronounced enough to register as a different place, and also because the initial impression the strips made on me was so great that I find it difficult to associate even the later pages with anywhere else.  But why am I unsure as to whether I read 42 or 43 strips before moving house.  I'll tell you, because maybe someone out there will be able to supply the information I need to work things out.

The first issue of TV Century 21 was cover-dated January 23rd, though it's often reported to have gone on sale on January 19th.  That seems odd to me, because it doesn't give it a full week's shelf-life in shops.  However, jumping ahead, #s 40-43 carried a 4 part Fireball XL5 story (illustrated by Frank Hampson) and I'm pretty sure the story ended before we moved, which was on November 8th.  Number 43 was dated November 13th, which means that if the same dating procedure was followed as with #1, it went on sale on the 9th, the day after we moved.

If that's true, then I couldn't have read the fourth and final part in my old house as I seem to remember, but must've read it in my new one.  Unless, of course, by then, the comic was going on sale earlier to give it a full week's shelf life before being replaced with the next issue.  (If so, it would've gone on sale on the 6th.)  Would anyone out there have access to that info, so that I can finally determine what number of issues I read before my family flitted?  It might not mean anything to you, but I'd love to know.

Anyway, another self-indulgent personal memory, but hopefully you'll overlook my selfishness.     

12 comments:

Dave S said...

I've pretty much given up on finding a copy of this now. Been into WHS almost every day for 2 weeks now- the staff must think I'm planning a heist!

Hopefully Panini will see sense and do a second printing- in the mean time I'm not short of reading material!

Kid said...

I'd been going into WHS early morning, then late morning/early afternoon since the 11th, but no joy, DS. I'd sort of given up since getting copies elsewhere, so I was surprised when I strolled in yesterday after 3p.m. to find one copy of the two which had come in that morning still left on the shelf. I was surprised to find it, actually - I thought it would've been nabbed right away.

rob diablo said...

Best thing to do is keep an eye on Doctorwhosite.co.uk..they usually update when Panini have them or FP.
I cant help with your Tv21 issue's dilemma Kid, i vaguely recall TV21 being posted through the door of our flat when we lived in the Holmes in Birmingham, when we moved to Castle Vale estate, i was no longer having TV21 instead i had the Beezer, i have no idea why, i still loved Thunderbirds & the other Anderson shows, but i have no recollection of having Tv21 in that house, but i have very vivid memories of my Mom buying me the first Joe 90 Top Secret, and of having Countdown every week, whilst still having the Beezer delivered.

Kid said...

Panini restocked their supplies for online sales on Tuesday, RD, but were sold out before too long. I think that was the final time they were selling that edition, so unless they change their minds or do a 2nd printing, I don't think they'll be having it again.

I've got the first edition of the '60s Joe 90 mag, plus several issues of Countdown, including #1. I never bought The Beezer regularly, but usually bought free gift issues.

Christopher Nevell said...

Talking of buying multiple copies, that TV Century 21 No.244 from Anderson Entertainment you kindly pointed out to us a while back is now 60% off during their current promotion. Fill yer boots!

Kid said...

Good as it was to see the return of TV21 for an issue, CN, I was somewhat disappointed with the overall standard of artwork so one copy will suffice for me, ta much. However, so gushingly positive were some of the reviews, I couldn't help but wonder if some of the 'verified purchasers' had ever seen an actual issue of the original comic (despite their claim to have been regular readers). The Daleks Special on the other hand, is a gift that keeps on giving.

Phil S said...

I don't recall Mighty TV comic at all . And I remember TV 21, though by the time I got to them they were old hand me down copies. Who was the distributor because they did a lousy job at my old newsagent in beautiful down Kingston.

Kid said...

Mighty TV Comic was just a temporary new name for TV Comic, PS, when it changed format to a tabloid-size comic, though folded in half so that it didn't take more room on the shelves. The distributor would be the usual one, and the same one as for all the comics.

John Pitt said...

I knew this was coming a while ago, but I'm so behind I missed it!
And just ordered the TV 21 #243!

Kid said...

This new Daleks Special blows its 1994 predecessor out of the water, JP. The TV21 #243 is okay, but it could and should have been so much better. Still good to see though.

John Pitt said...

It will ( kind of ) complete my set ( see my email! )

Kid said...

Seen it, read it, replied.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...