Saturday 22 August 2020

THE PHANTOM VIKING - WHAT A CHAMPION!


Copyright relevant owner

A nice little find in a charity shop through the week was the CHAMPION Annual 1968 (released near the end of '67), priced at a mere £1.  Being the generous sort, I thought I'd share one of the strips with you - THOR's UK stand-in, The PHANTOM VIKING.  Champion was a weekly comic from 1966 that lasted only 15 issues before being merged into LION, but it spawned two Annuals for '67 and '68, and I also have the first of them, having purchased it quite a number of years ago.

Anyway, let's see what Thor's relative is up to in the first of two strips contained in the Annual.  If you're all well-behaved and respond nicely (or even just respond at all), I'll maybe let you see the second strip, which is (alternately) in full and spot colour.  Helmets on?  Then let's go! 






4 comments:

Norman Boyd said...

Lovely find Kid. "Phantom Viking" here is drawn by John Stokes according to Steve Holland's index. Myself, I know nothing!

Kid said...

I thought it looked like John Stokes work, NB, so thanks for confirming it for me. Not bad for £1, eh? What's the best find you've ever had in a charity shop or car boot sale?

Terranova47 said...

Given the name of the strip it's interesting that the first panel showing an aircraft seems to depict a Vickers Viking.

Kid said...

But the name of the strip isn't The Phantom Vickers, T47. (Did you see what I did there?)



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...