Monday 4 May 2020

REVISITING THE WIZARD (UPDATED)...


Copyright relevant owner

Well, here's a scan of the finished results of my colouring job on the WIZARD Of ID strip (seen in the previous post) which I said I was having a go at.  The printout looks much smoother than this scan would have you believe, and I've managed to make the new copy (shortly going up on my bedroom wall) the exact same size as the original dull greyscale one it'll be replacing.

I used acrylic inks to colour the strip, but one of the drawbacks of this medium is that it can obscure linework in places, so I had to re-ink quite a few outlines in order to make them more visible.  The size of the copy (approximately 8 inches by 4) hides a multitude of sins, so I'm reasonably pleased with my efforts.  One thing's for sure, it's far cleaner than the greyscale version, so that's a plus at least.  (Update: I've now done a little more work on the master copy and replaced both versions of the strip seen in the earlier incarnation of this post.)

I took the liberty of straightening the title, and created a new 'Publishers Newspaper Syndicate, 1966' line in the same-sized font as the original (which was a bit smudged and faint) and applied it over the existing line.  On last thing - the colour of the sky in all three panels of the last tier are distinctly different from one another in my master copy (below), but have been rendered kind of 'samey' in the above printout.

Well, everything considered, I think it's not too bad - what say the rest of you?

6 comments:

Lionel Hancock said...

Its come up great..Good job !!!

Kid said...

Ta, LH. You're a man of discernment.

Colin Jones said...

It looks nice but what's so special about this particular cartoon strip that it's been on your bedroom wall for around 44 years? I just can't imagine looking at the same pic for that long. I've got a calendar on the wall in my living room and I look forward to changing the picture every month just to see something different.

Kid said...

What's so special about it? It makes me laugh (or at least smile) whenever I look at it, CJ. So that's why it's so special - it's funny. I prefer the familiar, you prefer to see something new. Guess you're just more fickle than me, eh?

Dave S said...

I think it looks great. I hope Brant Parker and Johnny Hart would have loved the thought that people are still reading and enjoying their work all these years later.

Kid said...

Thanks, DS. I'm sure Parker and Hart would be over the moon to know that people still love their work.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...