Sunday 22 March 2020

TV TORNADO ANNUAL 1970 COVER...


Characters copyright relevant and respective owners

Above is the cover to the very first TV TORNADO Annual I ever had (and still have), given to me by an old school pal around 33-34 years ago.  This is the third Annual, issued in 1969 for 1970, and though I've now had it for all this time, I've never before read it until the very early hours of this morning.  Well, to be precise, I only read the comic strips, the text stories I've left for a rainy day.  Same with the other Annual I received as a gift from another school pal on Wednesday - read the strips, not the stories, but I'll get around to them eventually.

When I was first given this book, I somehow had the impression its previous owner had bought it (or had it bought for him) when it first came out, but I noticed a hand-written price of 10p (it had originally cost 12/6d in 1969) on the inside, so presumably he bought it at a jumble sale two or three years later.  I've now owned it for far longer than he did, but somehow I still associate it with him more than myself - maybe that'll change in another 30-odd years.*

I've also just bought the second Annual on eBay (for a price less than the postage), so that only leaves the fourth Annual to add to my collection, then I'll have the full set.  (Update: now bought it.)  Incidentally, the ridiculous MILE HIGH COMICS (obviously named after their exorbitant prices) is selling the first Annual for £510.92, even though there are several available on eBay for just a few quid.  And even though the Mile High copy is supposedly in pristine condition, it's still not worth anywhere near that price.

Did you buy TV Tornado comic back in the day, or any of the Annuals?  Feel free to share your memories of them in our sadly-neglected comments section.

******

*Unusually for me, I'd left this Annual completely unretouched (in regard to repairing any minor defects) since I first acquired it 33-34 years ago.  Until tonight (23rd March), when I straightened the dunted corners and gave them a slight colour-touch where required.  I also reinforced the spine as it was a bit fragile in places, so the book finally displays signs of my personal ownership after remaining exactly as it was since passing into my possession so many moons ago.  I can now truly regard it as 'my' book, and not anyone else's. 

10 comments:

McSCOTTY said...

I only have a vauge memory of the contents of TV Tornado but I have a link to it as I recall my pals and myself at the time having our own subutteo table football leagues where we named our own teams and my main team was called the Tornados and I remember getting the name from this comic ((we were only about 7 years old at the time). £500 plus for an annual what a joke.

Kid said...

I rarely bought it, if at all, but me and my brother were given some from time-to-time by a relation whenever we visited. As for the Annual, yes, it's a joke - but not a very amusing one. Mile High Comics should be wearing masks and stripey jumpers, McS.

rob diablo said...

I recall It very vaguely from the time, it certainly wasn't one i purchased regularly Even though i was watching most of the shows featured, I ended up buying a few issues from a Dealer friend for around £2.00 each, he had most of them, i just went for My fave Covers, All the saint ones, The Invaders, Man In A Suitcase, & Voyage.
Around 6 Years ago, browsing around E bay i Noticed an Issue going for £300.00..i Couldn't believe it!, on further looking at the sellers other items, around 6 or 7 of The TV Tornado's Had the same amount on them, I'd never seen TV Tornado issues going for such a large amount..I Checked The bidding history and the Large amounts had been Placed by a Buyer in the states & one, In the UK.
So i grabbed around 6 of mine & listed them, and within the first hour they were on £300 each!!..Upon further investigation , looking at what both High bidders had bought previously (when it was possible to do that On E bay)they both had a keen interest in Edger Rice Burroughs, Cuttings Books Annuals ECT..so it was The Tarzan strips they appeared to be trying to out bid each other for..Crazy!
Anyway..Before i bore you even further, i sold all six, made a nice amount, and bought them back from other sellers on e bay a few months later for around £3-4 Quid each..Mad!

Kid said...

I once knew a guy who would put items up for auction (not on ebay), bid on them himself to push the price up, then buy his own stuff in order to 'establish' a higher value. Then he'd try to offload multiple copies of the same thing, asking for the same high amounts he'd bought his own stuff for. And some people fell for it because they thought that's what the items were worth. After all, the value had been established at auction, hadn't it? Mad indeed - and dishonest - but if people are stupid enough...

rob diablo said...

Yes, Maybe that's what was happening with the TV Tornado's..they certainly were worth nowhere near that as you know.

Kid said...

A few years back, Mile High Comics were asking for £432.87 (plus £23.53 for postage) for the 1974 Marvel Annual, even though good ones could be had for around a tenner. Wouldn't surprise me if they still had it.

rob diablo said...

that's just daft isn't it..

Kid said...

What amazes me is that they seem totally oblivious to just how ridiculous it makes them look, RD.

rob diablo said...

I Think They Just Hope..someone Out There, Will Pay It..and usually they do, it only takes that one person.

Kid said...

I suppose so, but it shows that they care more about money than they do about reputation.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...