Friday 7 February 2020

POSTIE, POSTIE, HASTE YE BACK...


Copyright DC COMICS

Don't you just love receiving the morning post?  Unless it's bills of course.  I'm always looking forward to receiving my latest TRUE BELIEVERS and Facsimile Editions, and another mixed trio arrived at Castel Crivens earlier today.  First up is a facsimile of GREEN LANTERN #1 (above), and very nice it is too.  I see that DC are now incorporating the price as part of the bar-code box, but I preferred it when it was positioned where the original price used to be.  And once again, they've left off the cover-date, whereas it was included on a couple of previous issues.  I really do wish they were more consistent.

Copyright MARVEL COMICS

Moving on to the TBs, the IRON MAN one benefits from retaining the original TALES Of SUSPENSE logo, though it would've looked more balanced if they'd left the corner 'avatar' in place.  The DAREDEVIL cover looks a bit sparse, and would've looked better with its original logo and corner box, but MARVEL seems to think differently.  Again, consistency is called for.  I purchase these issues for the reprints, not because they're loosely tied-in with some new ongoing series or contrived theme, and I'm pretty sure most other buyers likely do so as well.


However, despite those niggles, they're well-worth adding to one's collection and I'm anticipating a bundle of other TB and FE goodies arriving over the next few weeks - can't wait!  Have you been buying any of these reprints, fellow Crivs?  Which ones have been your favourites so far?  Tell all in the CS!

6 comments:

Hackney Steve said...

I really enjoyed the 'Mantis' TB issue, but to use her as the selling point is absolutely ridiculous as she only appears in 3 frames (and that's being generous) and does sod all.

I personally wouldn't buy these reprints at $3.99, but at 90p a pop I look forward to them the way I used to look forward to comics in my youth. I just wish they didn't use these tenuous character links (and the awful accompanying cover logos) as an excuse to reprint them. More people WOULD be attracted to the old Avengers logo,..

Kid said...

Yeah, I was surprised at the Mantis one - as you say, blink and you'd miss 'er. Maybe Marvel feels that they have to distinguish these reprints from the facsimile editions, but I'd have thought that the True Believers banner along the top of the cover accomplishes that purpose quite adequately.

TC said...

If it does not have the corner box/avatar, it just doesn't feel like even a reasonable facsimile of a Silver Age Marvel comic to me.

Kid said...

Perhaps that's why they're deleting them, TC, to try and avoid a Silver Age look? Though they have kept the corner boxes on some TBs. That's the problem - no consistency.

Rip Jagger said...

The "Criminally Insane" reprints were especially choice. The Masters of Evil one was my pick of the litter but it's always fun to see vintage Purple Man.

Rip Off

Kid said...

I already have most of the TBs in some reprint volume or other, RJ, but it's good to have them in individual issue format. You can't beat a comic.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...