Saturday 15 February 2020

BILLY'S BOOTS - COLLECTED EDITION OF FIRST YEAR'S STRIPS FROM SCORCHER...

Copyright REBELLION

Although I was never a football fan when I was younger (nor am I now), I still bought soccer-themed comics from time-to-time.  That's because, comics for girls aside*, the lure of a new weekly periodical was hard for me to resist.  (*Having said that, I may have bought the occasional ish of LADY PENELOPE.)  So I purchased the early issues of SHOOT!, SCORCHER, and SCORE.  I no longer recall just how long I continued with them (maybe a few weeks or months), but I was certainly in on the ground floor when they first hit the shelves of newsagents all across the nation.

One of the strips I really enjoyed was BILLY'S BOOTS (from Scorcher), and today I received REBELLION's excellent volume of the collected weekly episodes from the first year.  In full-colour as they were originally published, it's great fun to revisit the 1970s in my last six months of being a primary school pupil and my first four at secondary (with a generous eight weeks holidays in between the two periods).  Not that you'll be interested in my personal history, but it may prompt you to remember your own if you were around at the time.

When I first read Billy's Boots in the '70s, the impression I had was that 'DEAD-SHOT' KEEN had long departed this mortal vale, so I was surprised to see while browsing through the book that BILLY DANE actually meets him in a couple of the strips, Keen being very much alive, though retired.  I feel that I'd have remembered that, so it's possible I abandoned Scorcher before ever seeing that particular revelation.  Maybe once I immerse myself in these stories from yesteryear, hitherto dormant memories will resurface, and seemingly forgotten details will become crystal-clear once more - we'll see.

Anyway, if you were a fan of the schoolboy with the magic football boots, this handsome volume (priced at £19.99) is one you should definitely have on your bookshelf, ready to dip into at a moment's notice and thrill again to stories from your youth when you thought you'd be a child forever.  Didn't we all?!

6 comments:

Dave S said...

I too thought that Dead Shot Keen had died- I just assumed that his spirit haunted the boots and gave them their uncanny powers!

My favourite football comic strip is Millionaire Villa, the story of a Robin Asquith lookalike businessman who buys a football club and plays for them - I'm sure I've mentioned it before on Crivens.

Kid said...

I think you have mentioned it before, DS, but I don't remember ever reading the strip itself. What comic was it in - Scorcher?

Dave S said...

It was in Roy of the Rovers- the entire run was reprinted in the 1982 ROTR annual, which I happily managed to re-acquire a couple of years back.

Kid said...

Good to hear that you were reunited with it, DS.

Unknown said...

Please How can one get to buy old Tiger Comics

Kid said...

Go on to ebay, where you're sure to find some at some point.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...