Saturday 26 October 2019

DC'S BATMAN #251 FACSIMILE EDITION...


Copyright DC COMICS

I know I had this comic back in the '70s because I remember the story, and in particular a full-page shot of BATMAN running across a beach in pursuit of The JOKER (out of frame).  Curiously, however, in memory I didn't automatically associate the contents with the cover, so for years, whenever I saw it pictured anywhere, I was never quite sure whether I'd read the issue or not.  Until, that is, I saw it reprinted somewhere back in, I think, the '80s (or perhaps later).

And now it's been reprinted again - this time as a FACSIMILE EDITION, complete with original ads and all.  You surely don't need the hard-sell on this one?  It's Batman, it's NEAL ADAMS, and it's a reminder of your youth at the same time. What's not to like?!  Funnily enough, I saw a huge framed reproduction of this cover in a charity shop a few days ago, going for a tenner.  I was tempted, but I simply don't have anywhere to hang it, so I passed.

However, don't you pass on this ish.  Get straight round to your local comics shop now and buy it before it sells out, or get it on ebay - I'm not fussy 'cos I get my percentage either way.  (That's 0% in case you were wondering.)

10 comments:

TC said...

I never had the original, but I had the digest-sized Best of DC #2 (1979), which reprinted it.

That shot of Batman running on the beach was used for the cover of the tabloid-sized Limited Collector's Edition #25 in 1974. It may have also been used in ads, and is almost as iconic as the Infantino centerfold pin-up pages from 1966.

Kid said...

Yes, I think it's appeared in a few places, TC - it's too good not to use. I remember seeing it as the cover of the LCE, but I don't think I ever had that issue. Could be wrong though.

McSCOTTY said...

I missed this first time around only seeing it if memory serves in the monthly UK Suprheros comic in black and white so as an Adans fan it was good to pick it up, Adans at his best I think

Kid said...

Your memory serves, McS, 'cos I remember it from that UK ish as well (still got it too). However, I'm sure I must've seen it somewhere else as well, because I was a liitle surprised when I eventually joined the dots and realised the story went with that particular iconic cover.

Dave S said...

Glad that DC have got in on the Facsimile Editions too- the list of issues I'd like them to publish would be huge, but I'd be happy if they gave us some Curt Swan Superman or a Gene Colan Batman issue sometime!

Kid said...

I'd imagine they'll be doing some Kirby issues at some stage, which I'd like to see (even though I've already got them all either in original or reprint form), and there's bound to be some Swanderson Supermans as well (I hope).

Rip Jagger said...

This is going to sound weird so try not to judge me. I bought this issue off the stands, and it bowled me over as a youngster. Neal Adams changed the way I saw the Batman and this is the first time the Joker was scary in my experience. That said, I was prepared to leave this facsimile on the stands until I check out the insides and found the paper much to my liking and even producing that familiar aroma of the slow slow death of comics. Modern comics are put on slick paper which is better at cutting your fingers than giving depth to artwork, but not these pulpy pages. I had to have it, and I do.

Rip Off

Kid said...

Guilty! Of having good taste, RJ. I also prefer the paper that DC prints their facsimiles on, as opposed to the shiny stuff that Marvel uses. DC don't seem quite as able to match the standard of Marvel's reproduction on the internal ads though, but I suppose that as long as the story pages are okay then that's the main thing. Glad you've been re-acquainted with this comic from your youth.

Graham said...

I had the original, picked up back in the day. I read it until the cover came off. Great story, great art, one of my favorite comics ever. A few years ago, I found a t-shirt with the cover on it. I wear it regularly.

Kid said...

And will you be buying the facsimile, G, to recapture your lost youth (like I did)?



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...