Saturday 17 August 2019

ATTENTION! CALLING ALL ALAN CLASS COMICS COLLECTORS AND EXPERTS (UPDATED AGAIN)...


Images copyright relevant owner

Back in the 1960s, while I was yet a mere youth, I read a b&w reprint of the above story in an ALAN CLASS comic.  For years, I associated it with the '60s version of SINISTER TALES #149, but when I acquired a new printing of it around the mid-'70s (yup, that's the very ish below), I was disappointed to discover that I'd either been mistaken, or the story had been omitted in a reduced page-count, cost-cutting exercise.  (As you'll know, Class reissued the same comics over the years, with only the price changed, 'all-new stories' blurbs omitted, and fewer pages.  Sometimes the issues were given a different numbering as well.)


If the reprint didn't originally appear in this issue, then it seems likely that I read two different comics (one after the other) on the same evening on a visit to a then-former-neighbour's house, which is why I connect the story to this cover in my memory banks.  So the question is, Class collectors, do any of you know exactly which AC comic the story was originally reprinted in if it wasn't this one?  After all, I can't track it down 'til I know which ish it was.  Any and all assistance will be much appreciated by your grateful host.

Go on, help me reunite with another item from my past before I finally fall off the twig.  (You'll feel good about yourself.)

(Update 1:  Thanks to NORMAN BOYD, who provided a link, I now know that it was an L. MILLER comic called SPELLBOUND [#62] that the tale was reprinted in, not an Alan Class one.  Their mags were in the same b&w format, so are easy to confuse in memory years after the fact.  You can see the cover below, in which DEATH has been altered from his skeletal US presentation.)

(Update 2:  Alan Class purchased the inventory of L. Miller in 1963, including the printing plates which Miller had used to produce their comics, so I suppose there's always a possibility that Class could have reprinted the above tale in one of their own mags.  Anyone out there know if it ever turned up in an AC comic?)

6 comments:

Norman said...

https://www.comics.org/issue/381745/#1469484

Kid said...

Thanks, Norman. So it wasn't even an Alan Class, but an L. Miller comic? Normally, I'd be worried that this was yet more evidence of my deteriorating memory, but Class and Miller comics probably looked the same to my 8 or 9 year old self. At least I still recognised, years later, quite a few of the stories in Sinister Tales #149 when I acquired the '70s reissue, so some things I can still remember. Thanks again.

Norman said...

My pleasure. Having got rid of my Miller's and Class years ago my memory blends the two. I'd love to read a history of Miller and Thorpe & Porter for that matter.

Kid said...

Yup, that would be worth reading. Class only stopped publishing in 1989, which, to me, seems like only a couple of years ago - even though it was 30. It all goes by so fast.

huckyc said...

I've found this in my collection,I think it's Alan Class but not certain.
Strange Suspense issue 0. It does have the AC logo and the same cover as your Spellbound issue. Email me for the pic.

Kid said...

Er... how exactly? (A wind-up intended to frustrate me? Who knows, who cares!)



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...