Friday 9 November 2018

TV TOPS - EVER HEARD OF IT?


Copyright D.C. THOMSON & Co., Ltd

Much as I hate to admit it, there are some things I do not know.  The existence of this comic was one of them until a few moments ago, when I saw it on sale on eBay.  I don't know who the publisher was (though going by the type-set lettering on the strips, D.C. THOMSON is the most likely suspect) and there's not even a mention of it in the late DENIS GIFFORD's COMPLETE CATALOGUE OF BRITISH COMICS (which makes it incomplete), so I can't say how many issues there were or anything else about it.  If you bought this comic back in the day and can reveal any info behind its existence, please enlighten your fellow Criv-ites.  (It's clearly modelled after LOOK-IN, but that's about all I can contribute.)



10 comments:

McSCOTTY said...

I renember TV Tops kid ran for quite a while i remember it mire as a pop orientated magazine there's quite a lot abotmut it online including lots of cover kilos DCT were indeed the publishers

Kid said...

Strange, because I tried an Online search and nothing came up about it, PM. I don't ever recall seeing it in the shops though. Was it any good?

McSCOTTY said...

I only had one issue which had Adam Ant on the cover wasn't a fan of Adam Ant but the accompanying comic strip was well drawn. I seem to recall it's was bland. Checked online it ran for 121 issues

Kid said...

Can you give me the link? When I Google search the name, nothing comes up.

McSCOTTY said...

Hope this works on my old phone which I picked up in error. It's on Comic Vibe and a few other places
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://comicvine.gamespot.com/tv-tops/4050-45553/&ved=2ahUKEwiItqiK5sfeAhVpAcAKHfadDG4QFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw0X_TgvCD9ZQzQBq9gBEsdS

Kid said...

Thanks for that, PM, it works fine. Really looks like the Beeb mag from a couple or so years later. Funny how I never noticed its existence before. Maybe it wasn't 'comicky' enough to capture my attention.

garylee said...

If I remember correctly, this also ran a ‘The Professionals’ comic strip, along with some mild swearing.

Kid said...

In a D.C. Thomson comic? Must've been really mild swearing. The Professionals comic strip can be seen in one of the photos, GL.

Anonymous said...

I used to collect it, the only cover I can remember is an Adam Ant one.

Jones Johnson

Kid said...

I still don't know how I missed it, JJ. If I ever did see it, I must've forgotten almost immediately.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...