Friday 23 November 2018

AND WHEN DID YOU FIRST BECOME ADDICTED?


The original ad that started it all

So when did it begin, this 'obsession' with collecting things from childhood?  Well, in my case, that depends on exactly what we're talking about - comics or toys.  I started re-acquiring childhood comics around the end of 1980/the beginning of '81, when I purchased the first issues of FANTASTIC, TERRIFIC, The MIGHTY WORLD Of MARVEL, SPIDER-MAN COMICS WEEKLY, and the 1968 POW! SMASH! FANTASTIC Holiday Special.  I'd retained quite a number of comics from their original time of purchase around 1974/'75 when I was a teenager, but the aforementioned items resulted from a determined effort to re-obtain certain publications I'd originally had as a youth.  Although, to be more accurate, that determination sprang from discovering their availability by chance, which sounds like a contradiction-in-terms.  However, you know what I mean - I just happened to see an advert for them and decided I wanted to own them again.

With toys, the tap was turned on in a drip around 1982, when a former colleague asked me if I'd like an unbuilt AURORA SUPERBOY model that one of his friends no longer wanted.  I sure would, but it didn't materialize right away.  Then, some time later, he told me about an Aurora BATMAN kit he'd seen in a model shop in Glasgow for a mere £1.50.  I duly gave him the money to buy it for me as he was in Glasgow more often than I was (and knew exactly where the shop was located).  Then, in 1983, MONOGRAM reissued four of the 'glow-in-the-dark' Aurora models of the UNIVERSAL movie monsters, so I bought the FRANKENSTEIN kit (from LEWIS'S in Glasgow) as I'd had it more than half my life earlier.  Then the Superboy model I'd previously been offered finally passed into my possession. 

So far, my re-acquisitions amounted to a mere trickle, and there was yet no hint of the flood that was to eventually follow.  In 1984, PALITOY announced that they would no longer be making the 12" ACTION MAN articulated figure, so I bought the very next one (and for half-price too) I saw in a shop before they all disappeared off the shelves completely.  That was the start of it and, somehow, without ever being fully aware of the addiction that was gradually overtaking me, I started buying just about anything that I'd had as a kid, or wanted as a kid but never had, or didn't exist when I was a kid but should have - or, in fact, anything I would've bought had I still been a kid.  Before I knew it, I had surrounded myself with replacements for comics and toys I'd owned (or wanted to own remember) in my youth, and it's a habit that prevails to the present day.

What can I say?  There's something comforting in being reunited with a past possession from a vanished time in one's life.  It's like stepping back into 'yesterday' when one originally saw and owned the item, even if the moment is of an all-too brief duration and the present impatiently protrudes into the passing parade of prior pleasures from a bygone era.  If you don't 'get it' then I could never explain it to you - you'd have to experience the sensation for yourself in order to appreciate what I'm talking about.

Fortunately for me, I'm aware that there are others who visit this blog who know exactly whereof I speak.  So tell me, fellow travellers in time, when did the journey begin for you?  Also, what was your first 're-acquisition' and why did it mean so much to you?  Relive the moment in our cavorting comments section.

******

Incidentally, regarding the ad at the top of the page - the individual concerned never sent me my SMCW #1, so, after several months of him ignoring my requests for it, I had a Solicitor's letter sent to him - no response.  Quite a bit of time passed before I eventually wrote to a TV consumer affairs programme who chased him up - the comic was sent in short order and the story featured on the show.  Below is a photo of myself used in the broadcast and snapped from the television screen.  Oh, and as far as I remember, contrary to what the ad says and with the possible exception of MWOM, none of the mags had their original free gifts.

24 comments:

pete doree said...

Great question, kid. For me, it all started again with the Essentials & Showcases. I'd given up comics completely in the Image era, and just happened on The Essential Conan. Pretty soon I was buying them all, realising I still loved this stuff with a passion, and from there it was only a short jump to 'I could get the originals now' And, as you say, everything else I wanted back then too!
My first 'hit' I think was a big batch of Eerie I got really cheap at a con, including of course, the one issue a friend would never swap me which I wanted more than life itself...
Was never really into toys, I must admit, they just seemed like something that took money away from comics, but those aurora ones are great. So maybe..

Kid said...

It's a great feeling, isn't it, to finally acquire something you always wanted, but could never get at the time? I felt like that when I bought Conan The Barbarian #1 a while back. I owned reprints of it, but I'd last seen and held the original (which belonged to a pal) around 1971. Same goes for the Aurora Superman kit. Had only ever seen it in ads or photos, but now I've got two original '60s versions - one built and painted (by myself), the other still in parts form in its original box. And re-acquiring a comic or book from years before is like welcoming back a member of the family.

Paul Mcscotty said...

I agree with Pete a really good (and fun ) question. Like Pete I am also not that interested in toys, but I do like looking at old ones from "back in the day" etc but its not an area I would say I actively collect - any "toys" I have (replica wind up robot) I use more as ornaments.As for comics I think I have always liked and bought them with notable slow down periods from the mid 80s onwards where I bought mostly things like Cerbus, Love and Rockets etc and maybe 2 or 3 "mainstream" comics - down to 1 semi regular title now. But it was probably around 1986/8 that I started looking at and wanting back issues more this was probably as my Dad had passed away a few years earlier and I recall picking up an issue of ESCAPE magazine (which I still have) that had an article on Ken Reid who had recently passed away, I had all but forgotten but this asI hadn't read a kids UK comic since I was about 11 years old but on seeing a picture of Kens Frankie Stein from Wham in that article I was immediately taken back to 1967ish when my Dad would buy my brother and myself comics on Saturday morning and wake us with a cup of tea, toast and a batch of comics including Wham 9I can still hear him whistle (as he did ) and the shout up "right boys Im bring up a cup of tea for you wake up". So that started me on a quest for POW, SMASH and Whams, then I saw a few old DC and Marvels in AKA in Glasgow and some brought back those vivid "microsecond" memories others I bought as I had wanted them a a kid etc but for me its the ones that give me an instant memory (Conan 26, Silver Surfer 12 etc) that I enjoy the most as its always great to revisit that time. I get the same buzz with some music, but to a lesser extent.

Anonymous said...

I've never wanted to re-acquire anything. I get my nostalgia fix by reading blogs about nostalgia, looking at comic-cover galleries or watching YouTube :D

Kid said...

It goes without saying, of course, that I don't buy toys to play with, but merely to own because they remind me of the time they came from. Any toys and models I have on display are for ornamentation, not to be touched. The motto in my house for visitors is 'look with your eyes, not your hands'. I might have that Escape issue, PM, because it rings a bell. I started re-acquiring Smash! (the new version) in October 1984, and Wham! in '85, when an IPC editor gave me a bound volume for 1967. He also gave me bound volumes for Smash! (1966 and '67) and Pow! (1967) at the same time. I've since obtained quite a number of single issues as well. That's a great wee story about your dad and brother. I'm glad this post helped remind you of a happy time in your life. That's what toys and comics do for me - bring the past closer, even if only for a moment.

******

Surely your nostalgia fix is for the purpose of reconnecting with (or 're-acquiring') your lost youth, CJ? You just access that fix in a different way. You make do with pictures of past items, whereas I prefer the real thing. Horses for courses I suppose. (I'll get this comment right yet.)

pete doree said...

Absolutely. And no Diss on toy collectors or any kind of collector, just for me it's always been about comics.
To quote '70's balladeer Dean Friedman:Take a look at the place you call your home / you're reflected in all the things you own.

Kid said...

Or to put it another way, PD - "From the music they love, you shall know the texture of men's souls." (The Passionate Friends,) This applies to comic, books, toys, ornaments, etc.

Anonymous said...

Correct, Kid - like you I am reconnecting with my childhood but I do it in a different way. But my way is a lot cheaper and I have much more room in my house!

Paul Mcscotty said...

I meant that by using my "toys" as an"ornament" that was pretty much (99%) the only reason I got them not as a display collectable - if I had the money and space I would consider a wee tasteful display cabinet with a selection of toys from 1964 - 1971 ish like they have in museums (like they have in Moffat) , antique shops.

Kid said...

Ah, but who wants to live in a big empty house, CJ? (And what do you do with all that room?)

******

One day, I'll have to get some display cabinets, PM. I just hang them on the wall or place on any available flat surface. However, none of us are getting any younger - you should start a wee collection soon, before prices become even more prohibitive.

Paul Mcscotty said...

Your 100% right on that Kid which is why I have decided very soon to pack in my 15 hour work days and enjoy what time I have left (hopefully a long time) with loved ones and travelling - that may involve picking up the odd comic from the past - Iam however in the process of getting rid of so many comics from the 80s - to date I dont want (make room for some classics) but not sure what to do with them (I cant bin them all some are good and some cost a bit so not giving them all away)

Kid said...

Sell them on eBay, PM. It's a relatively simple process, and as long as you're accurate about grading, you shouldn't have any problems. Or, if you prefer (and if it's not against Blogger rules), you can advertise them on Crivens (I'd need scans) and see if any other Criv-ites would be interested in them.

Paul Mcscotty said...

Thats very kind of you - I'll certainly give Ebay a look when I get my new laptop (this one is on the way out) I have lots of comics that I am happy to give away if anyone want these they can have them for postage.

Kid said...

Better include packaging in that offer as well, PM, 'cos the good condition ones will need protecting. You don't want to be out-of-pocket buying card-backed envelopes or cardboard mailers. Send me a list when you have time.

WOODSY said...

That's got to be the best £1.50 anyone has ever spent Kid! An Aurora Superboy! Wow! My big brother had all the Aurora Monsters when I was a kid in the early Sixties. he gave them away for a few snogs with a girl! Daylight robbery I say. My own adult bug began in earnest with a chance find of a battered SPV in a Junk shop in Castleford circa 1988. If I can find an SPV then I can anything I mused. !989's Batman movie tipped me over into obsession and after buying everything associated with the film I started on old Bats stuff. Before I knew it I was drowning in Batmen! And so the bug took hold and I collected everything in old toydom after that, one day re-acquainting myself with my beloved Project SWORD toys as well. Thirty years later I have them all except the glorious Nuclear Ferry [which to be fair I didn't have as a kid either]. I have more chance of meeting Elvis in the local Co-Op! Great post Kid. Glad youre back.

Kid said...

Actually, I was given the Superboy kit for nothing, W, it was the Batman kit that cost £1.50. Both kits were the mid-'70s versions, but I acquired the '60s version of the Batman model (which was the one I had as a kid) in 1984-ish. I got a few of the 1989 Batman movie merchandise items myself and still have them. As for Elvis, I saw him in Sainsbury's last week, so you never know - he may visit your local Co-Op yet.

Lionel Hancock said...

I was lucky with my precious toys from the past ( dinky and corgi cars ) are still with me displayed on a shelf..But unhappily my Smash comics 9 to 75 were generously donated to a hospital by my dear Mother in my absense but hey Im only 12 chapters missing from having a full set of The Legend Testers once more.

Kid said...

Tell me what issues they are, LH, and if I have loose copies, I'll eventually scan them for you. I'll have them in my bound volumes, but they're almost impossible to open wide enough to scan. Hopefully Rebellion will publish a collected edition of their adventures - which I'd certainly buy even though I've already got them.

Phil S said...

I started collecting in the mid 70s. Marvel began importing their pence versions of their American comics but I really started with my first comic meet at Westminster town hall. People with tables selling old comics! Back issues! I was in awe and never looked back. I don’t even recall what was for sale other than I had never seen so many comics. I was in heaven.

Kid said...

Do you ever miss London, PS? If so, see the post which followed this one. My first comics mart was in 1982 in the Royal Stuart Hotel in Glasgow. I was amazed by how many 'old' guys were there, hunting down comics from their youth. Hard to realise that they were probably younger than I am now.

Lionel Hancock said...

Thankyou very much....whats missing is 30,33,34,36,37,39,41,42,44,45,46,60,70,75. . There is actually 14 missing not 12 as I thought.

Kid said...

Nae bother, LH. I can't say exactly when I'll find time to dig them out, but don't worry - it WILL happen.

Phil S said...

Strangely the older I get the more I miss London and the UK. The 70s was an odd time. Bad economy but great music. Social unrest but the revival of 50s music and the rise of punk at the same time. And you could still get old comics for cheap . Top of the Pops. Miss my Red Devil ice cream.

Kid said...

Maybe it's your youth you actually miss, PS, but because you associate it with London, you think it's the place you miss more than that time in your life, eh? Or maybe not.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...