Monday 20 March 2017

COMMANDO #5000...


Images copyright D.C. THOMSON & Co., Ltd

This one's old news by now, but I bought COMMANDO #5000 from WHS just a few days ago.  It was on the top shelf, and four different issues occupied the same space (one in front of the other), as opposed to being on display side-by-side so that customers could see there was more than one single issue on offer.  Just as well I decided to take a closer look and check through them.  Commando came out in 1961 and is still going strong, so if you'd like a nice little collectors' item, check out your local WHS or corner newsagent's and see if they've got any left.

FLEETWAY used to do their own version of Commando (can't recall what title it went under), as well as westerns, spy stories and humour strips in the same format (as did DCT).  I remember the sad day when the editor of IPC's pocket libraries was told they were being discontinued and that he was being made redundant.  I think his name may have been either ALAN or BRIAN SMITH, but I'm not certain.  If anyone out there knows, can you enlighten me please, so that I can give credit where it's due.

Anyway, just think - Commando has been published continuously since 1961, and that's a milestone surely worth celebrating.

No comments:



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...