Thursday 25 February 2016

RECOMMENDED READING - THE JACK KIRBY OMNIBUS VOLUMES ONE & TWO...

Images copyright DC COMICS

If you're a JACK KIRBY fan (and who isn't?), you're sure to enjoy these two handsome volumes in DC COMICS' OMNIBUS series, spanning Jack's DC career from the 1940s right up to his last comicbook work in the '80s.  It has to be conceded that some of  his later work wasn't quite in the same league as when he was firing on all cylinders, but anything by 'King' Kirby is always worth a look.

The first volume came out in 2011 and the second in 2013, but both editions should still be available in your local comicbook shop or most relatively decent bookstores with a graphic novels section.  I acquired them only yesterday, but I like them so much I thought I'd give all you faithful Criv-ites the heads-up so's you can add them to your own collections if you haven't yet done so.

Read the pertinent details on the back covers by clicking on them to enlarge, then click again for optimum size.



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kid, I'm curious why you only bought them yesterday if they've been out since 2011 and 2013 - a bit slow off the mark there, weren't you ?

Kid said...

Who says I bought them? The word I used was 'acquired'. H'mm.

Philip Crawley said...

Kid, thanks for the heads on these - definitely going onto the wish list. Not sure if I'll ever have enough money to buy all of the comic collections I'd like or enough time to read them all if I ever did! But I'm gonna die trying.

Kid said...

There's loads on my wish list too, PC. Will I ever get them all? Here's hoping I do - and that I also get the time to read them. You really should add the two DC Archives volumes of Challengers Of The Unknown to your list, and there's also a single Omnibus edition.

Phil said...

Absolutely, specially the Wally Wood inks on Challengers. It's amazing how two styles which are so different could mean so well.

Rip Jagger said...

There is sure a range here. The first volume has lots of Kirby gems. The second one is pretty uneven as the King is surely losing more than a step in those Super Powers stories. It's too bad that DC waited so long to return to the Fourth World. They had the King at the top of his game (in my opinion) in his early 70's run and didn't quite know what to do with him.

Rip Off

Kid said...

The Wood inks on Challengers makes me wish he'd inked Kirby on the FF, Phil.

******

The 2nd volume is twice as thick as the first, Rip. I suspect DC knew that had they split the 2nd in two, a third volume wouldn't have sold too well as it wasn't Kirby at his best.

Phil said...

Mesh so well! I Swear I've never seen autocorrect do so many mistakes and it's always on this blog....

Kid said...

I don't have auto-correct, Phil, so it must be at your end. (I mean geographically, not anatomically.)



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...