Monday 16 November 2015

CORGI BATMOBILE MARK 2...



In the 1990s, CORGI wanted to reissue their famous diecast model of the 1966 TV BATMOBILE.  Trouble was, there was a copyright quagmire surrounding the car which meant that their plans were thwarted.  Eventually, they decided to go with the '60s comicbook version, which had sort of developed from the TV car when the artists grew either fed up or too lazy trying to capture designer GEORGE BARRIS's classic chassis.

Thus evolved the comicbook version, which, from the front, bore a startling similarity to the TV incarnation.  In a nod to the '60s toy, Corgi gave their 'new' Batmobile a chain cutter, and the same outline of Batman's figure adorned the base of the car.  To be frank, the overall result didn't have the same visual impact, being too simplified a version of Barris's original design.

The paint job had a speckly effect, rather than the deep, rich, gloss black of the '60s car, which further cheapened the look of the model.  It was a brave attempt by Corgi, but it failed to set the world of diecast toys on fire in the way that the '60s car had done.  The addition of a ROBIN figure would've given the model a much needed splash of colour, but, alas, production expense had to be taken into account and it was not to be.  (Although I hear that a 'special edition' model with a Robin figure was later made available.  Anyone ever seen it?)

Corgi released a series of Batman-related cars at this time, but as nice as some of them undoubtedly were, nothing came close to matching the beauty and wonder of the '66 classic.
   

12 comments:

Arfon Jones said...

I have a few of these, had them in their boxes for some time and after finally settling on selling them I listed them (as a job lot) on eBay, nothing.... nobody wanted them. Tried selling them separately... nothing. SO I decided to take them out of their boxes and enjoy them. I didn't have the 60's one so I thought I would go back to eBay to find one, how many times was out bid? I lost count! Anyway I have 40's through to 2000 minus the 60's and I fancy buying the 30's version produced with that Batmobile magazine collection along with tv series version, 89 movie version and the animated series version... You know, when I first obtained these cars I didn't think I was that bothered about the Batmobile! Just goes to show how nice they are!

Kid said...

I bought a few of those magazine collection Batmobiles, AJ. The '66 one is a belter, 'though curiously, the back canopy is a slightly different shape to the Mattel one. I think the Corgi series is still perhaps too recent to be valuable, but who knows what they'll be worth in 20 years? Corgi also did a larger version of the '60s comicbook Batmobile, which is very nice.

Arfon Jones said...

I've seen it. Glorious. Corgi achieved bonus points by producing the Joker mobile and (just off the top of my head) with Two-Fac's car and Killer Moth's!

Kid said...

You've seen it? I've GOT it! (Hee hee!) Just a shame it didn't come with figures. I've got two Polar Lights snap-together TV Batmobiles with figures 'though, so I could use a set in the large Corgi BM.

Arfon Jones said...

Yeah I’ve seen it at a convention, but to be honest it’s not really my thing. Never was much of one for toy cars (that’s why its surprising that I took to these guys) Figures I like, particularly the villains… must photograph my villain jar sometime... ;)

Kid said...

A boy who's not into toy cars? It's surely not possible! Stands amazed.

Arfon Jones said...

What can I say? My father was a car mechanic, my grandfather was a bus driver and my grandmother ran a haulage firm and my younger brother was into tractors but me, I was only interested in toy cars if they had Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry or Popeye sitting in them.

Kid said...

Well, yes, it's true - they're always better with figures in them. The original Corgi Batmobile would only have been half as good without the figures.

Arfon Jones said...

Its funny, although I could always ‘appreciate’ a cool car in movies and tv shows its only in the past 10 years or so I’ve actually though, “hmmm that would be nice on a shelf”. But I still prefer figures.

Kid said...

I've got the Danbury Mint Aston Martin D.B.5, which doesn't have figures, although it's got the ejector seat and everything. However, I place a Corgi James Bond figure (the good one they did, not the rougher one) in the display case alongside the car (which is about 8 or 10 inches long) and it looks great - as if JB is posing beside it.

Arfon Jones said...

There you go again you see, I was more interested in gadget briefcases, exploding pens and crocodile subs than the cars, BUT learnt to appreciate them in later years. Always thought they were cool, but liked rocket packs and explosive toothpaste... Good job on the display.

Kid said...

I liked the gadget briefcases as well - had the Man from U.N.C.L.E. one when I was a kid. Still got a bullet from the gun.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...