Monday, 22 December 2014

KID'S CHRISTMAS CLASSICS: TV COMIC'S LAST CHRISTMAS...



Believe it or not, you're looking at a genuine collectors' item classic -
the very last Christmas edition of TV COMIC, a periodical which started
in November 1951 and lasted 'til June 1984.  If my simple arithmetic is up
to the mark, that means there were 33 Christmas issues over the duration
of TV Comic's lengthy publishing history, a feat not to be sneezed at.

Hopefully, the pages that follow are actually from the above issue;  I
scanned them some time back along with some other Christmas strips and
my folders are in a slight state of disarray at the moment, but I think I've got
the right ones.  So, what are you waiting for?  Stick on the JIM REEVES
Christmas CD and away you go!






10 comments:

Gey Blabby said...

"Boom! Boom! Mr Derek!" (That fourth word will be enough to show where my allegiances lie.)
I've never seen Basil with legs before and I have to say that it's an extremely disconcerting sight.


I used to have a plastic Popeye record player back in the 60s - it had a white or light pink turntable. I don't know why I had it as I wasn't particularly keen on the character - I think I must just have been given it as a present at some time.

Kid said...

The comic strip version of Basil also has longer arms. And betcha that record player's worth a small fortune these days, GB.

Colin Jones said...

I was going to mention Basil Brush's feet as well - whatever happened to him anyway ? He just completely disappeared after being a staple of Saturday evening TV - wasn't there a Mr. Roy, there were probably a few of them I suppose.

Kid said...

Basil enjoyed a TV revival a few years back, CJ, and is currently in panto, I think. Honest.

TwoHeadedBoy said...

That Basil Brush story's my new favourite comic page - we forgot about the ghosts!

Kid said...

Mental, is what it is, THB. (Great stuff!)

John Pitt said...

Did you have any inkling that it was going to just stop without a word when it did?

Kid said...

No, because I wasn't buying it regularly when it stopped, JP. The first I knew was when Bob Paynter (youth group editor of IPC's humour division) pointed out the last issue sitting on a rack in his office on the 20th floor of King's Reach Tower one day. When I expressed my dismay at missing the last issue, he let me take his copy.

Christopher Sobieniak said...

I recall reading these pages before, perhaps on another blog.

Kid said...

It was probably on this one, Chris. This is a re-post under my 'Kid's Classics' (he said with a straight face) banner. It sounds better than 'Can't think of anything to write, so here's one I made earlier.'

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...