Sunday 20 April 2014

SMASH! COVER GALLERY - PART SEVEN...


Copyright REBELLION

With the relaunch of SMASH! in March 1969, a new feature appeared on the cover every week which effectively numbered each issue.  WARRIORS Of The WORLD started at #1 from the first new edition and continued right up 'til #41.  The Christmas-themed cover was actually #42, but later collectors could be confused by the fact that the 43rd issue continued with WOTW #42, perhaps giving them the impression that they've got an unbroken run when they might actually be missing an issue.

So, unless you've got that Christmassy covered comic nestling between WOTW #41 & 42, then your collection is incomplete.  Better get on eBay right away and start tracking it down.

The good thing about that Christmas cover is the fact that it conjures up memories of the old Smash!  In fact, if it weren't for the new masthead, it would fit right in with the ODHAMS PRESS incarnation of the comic.  To think that I was a mere primary school pupil when these six comics first went on sale is mind-boggling - it seems like only yesterday, not 45 years ago!

Tempus fugit right enough!





4 comments:

John Pitt said...

This Christmas cover is pretty hard to find. - First time I've seen it!

Kid said...

Apart from the time you saw it on this blog a year or two back and forgot about it you mean, eh, JP? (Yup, I've shown it before.)

John Pitt said...

I guess I must have then - I have been through them all. BUT I have seen other Smash cover galleries with this one missing.

Kid said...

If I remember correctly, JP, I published it as a Christmas post called 'Having s Smash-ing Christmas'. It includes a Baxendale Bad Penny strip.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...