Thursday 27 February 2014

PENULTIMATE PART (TWENTY-TWO) OF MIGHTY MARVEL COVER GALLERY...

Images copyright MARVEL COMICS

Only one more instalment to go, frantic ones, 'til the first 66 issues of The MIGHTY WORLD Of MARVEL in this cataclysmic cover gallery series is complete.  What'll I do then?  Well, as mentioned in a previous post, I'll run the few glossy covered MWOMs (and SMCWs) in my collection, and I still have complete sets of The SUPER-HEROES, CAPTAIN BRITAIN, COMPLETE FANTASTIC FOUR, BIG BEN, and various other comics which I can share with you all.  And, if nothing else, I can still bore you with rambling reminiscences of my childhood, old bits of furniture, and utterly self-indulgent exercises in neurotic nostalgia.  So, don't despair - there's plenty of life in the old blog yet.

Hey, what are you doing?  Get down off that cliff - you'll hurt yourself.  Whaddya mean, that's the idea?  I thought you liked this blog?

Dear me, some people are just never satisfied.  Tsk.








10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't you like the glossy MWOMs and SMCWs then, Kid? That bodybuilding ad makes me wonder who it was aimed at - the average 8 to 13 year-old Marvel readers would have looked a bit strange with a Charles Atlas physique !

John Pitt said...

I have enjoyed all these scans and look forward to all those others you mention.Keep them coming and any pot - luck combinations you come across in your extensive vaults!

Kid said...

I liked them at the time, Col, but later gave a lot of them away because of the murky printing.

******

Will do, JP. Nice to know that you're enjoying what's on offer.

Gey Blabby said...

I can remember murky printing afflicting some of the B&W American comics back then, too, and not just the UK ones. Artists as good as Adams and Buscema/Alcala had good work spoiled in Savage Sword of Conan and other mags. The earlier British comics might not have been too sophisticated, but they did have heaps of charm.

Nick Caputo said...

Nice stuff! The new covers look to be the work of Ron Wilson and Mike Esposito, with perhaps John Tartaglione assisting.

Kid said...

I don't think any of the U.S. mags were ever as bad as the U.K. ones, GB. Some of the grey tones were almost pure black, obscuring the artwork underneath.

******

Thanks, Nick. Perhaps someone will do a book one day, reproducing the covers of those early Marvel U.K. mags.

John Pitt said...

Speaking of " some people are never satisfied " - could you possibly throw in a few The Titans and Rampage weeklies as well ? Cheers!

Nick Caputo said...

Going through some early issues of Steranko's Comixscene, his mag was one of the few to mention the British comics and noted some of the early cover artists, including Dick Ayers, Jim Starlin and the team of Rich Buckler and Mike Esposito, which makes me feel good since I credited the pair to many of those early covers.

Kid said...

Unfortunately, JP, I only kept Titans #1 and Rampage 1-3, so no can do I'm afraid. You never know 'though - maybe I'll pick some up from somewhere.

******

Yup, you sure know your stuff, Nick. You deserve an extra large chocolate F.O.O.M. bar for all your hard work.

Kid said...

JP, thanks for your kind offer, but the mags have no nostalgic attachment for me, so I think I'll pass. Thanks anyway.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...