Sunday 29 September 2013

NOT BRAND ECHH COVER GALLERY - PART ONE...


Images copyright MARVEL COMICS

Seeing as how a number of you seem to have enjoyed the recent WHAT THE - - ?! cover gallery, I thought you might also like to see its forerunner, NOT BRAND ECHH.  So, herewith presented are the first five covers - the few remaining issues in my collection will be featured in a follow-up post whenever I remember.


This cover was later used on MARVEL MADHOUSE #1, a U.K. monthly mag published in 1981



And below is the cover to CRAZY #1 from 1972/'73 (first acquired by me while on holiday in Blackpool in 1973), which featured the contents of NBE #8, with the order rearranged somewhat.

6 comments:

John Pitt said...

Just realized I haven't got the originals any more! LUCKILY though, I still have the reprints in Marvel Madhouse, so all is not lost!After NBE it continued with Howard the Duck.

PhilSee said...

I always liked NBE and am even more impressed now than I was when I first read them at the cartooning talents of, particularly, Marie Severin, Jack Kirby and Gene Colan. Quite often adapting stories they themselves had done the 'straight' versions of. Like Marie's Subby v Hulk battle and Gene's Captain Marvel exploits. Great to see some of these turning up in the bonus sections of the Marvel Masterworks volumes.
Thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

Gene Colan's cartooning was brilliant wasn't it? I picked up some of his Archie comics stuff a while back and it was different class - Marie Severin did a funny Batman strip recently as well, collected in one of the Bat-Man Black and white vols well worth picking up - McScotty

Kid said...

JP, it's just a shame MM wasn't in colour, isn't it?

******

Phil, I wonder if Marvel will ever get around to publishing them in their own books. That'd be good.

******

McS, I'll have to keep an eye out for that Marie Severin Batman tale. She's a great artist.

Mel said...

I read recently taht NBE is going to be published as a Marvel Masterworks volume. That's a must buy for me.

Kid said...

I think I'll be buying that volume myself, Mel. I'm a sucker for them, even when I already have many of the original issues.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...