Tuesday 25 June 2013

PART TWO OF THE ORIGINAL SWAMP THING COVER GALLERY...

Images copyright DC COMICS

Another batch of SWAMP THING covers for you to slobber over, frantic ones. BERNI WRIGHTSON drew #9 & 10, LUIS DOMINGUEZ drew #11, and NESTOR REDONDO drew #s 12-16.  Aren't they pretty?  In a horrible sort of way, I mean.  (And that's meant as a compliment - after all, they ARE horror comics of a sort.)  When you think about it, a comicbook cover is a little bit like a movie poster, in that it has to attract the attention and stir the interest of potential buyers.  I bet no comic artist ever got paid anything near as much as their movie poster equivalents though, eh?

Third and final part coming soon!







4 comments:

PhilSee said...

Now these do bring back memories -I recall buying many of these back in the day and probably spent longer looking at the covers than the interiors, great though that art is as well. Especially the covers of 6, 7 and 8 - I'd spend ages looking at the great linework and trying to copy that robot. Possibly showing my age here but I am not really taken with a lot of the overly rendered art in many, but not all, contemporary comics and it is good to see line and colour used in just the right balance on these. Having said that though I do like the way artists like Cho and Schultz use linework, to name but two that come to mind.

Kid said...

Phil, I'm finding it extremely difficult to maintain an interest in most modern comics, preferring instead to read ones from a far earlier era. Hence my collection of back issues, Masterworks and Omnibus editions.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Swamp Thing had more than it's share of great illustrators, no doubt about it. I've wondered about that myself, but the dynamics of drawing superheroes and horror comics seem quite different to me, not that I'm putting down either one, they're just apples and pears, is all.
The art in the horror comics like Swamp Thing seemed to call for an approach more realistic, meticulous, less exaggerated, and therefore all the more scary.

Kid said...

It's also interesting to note that the first 22 issues had no word balloons or blurbs on the covers, relying only on the artwork to draw the reader in With the change in direction to a 'superhero' type mag with #23, the last two issues' covers had the same type of copy as Superman or Batman. Perhaps it's just as well there was no #25.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...