Sunday 26 May 2013

SOME 'SMASHING' FACTS & FIGURES FROM 1966 - PART ONE...


Copyright relevant owner

 

Something you won't know is that the ODHAMS PRESS bound volume of the first 50 issues of SMASH! didn't include #2.  It wasn't pulled out later - it was simply missing when the comics were gathered for binding.  Luckily, I have a spare copy of that 2nd collectors' classic (as I do of #1 also) - and it too is an Odhams file copy, the one with details of who did what and how much they got paid for doing it.

If I recall correctly, I had practically a full year's worth of these issues, each with a label on every strip noting the financial facts and creative cast of those involved. (Odhams kept two sets - one with labels and one without, and I was given both.)  I gave the labelled ones away, but retained #2 so that I could transplant it into my unlabelled volume and complete the set.  First, though, I carefully steamed off the labels to conserve the information for comics historians everywhere.

So, enjoy reading some sensational strips from one of Britain's brightest comics of the 1960s, and indulge your curiosity at how much the contributors got paid for their labours.  And if you like this instalment, be sure to click here for Part Two.

******

(And in case you wonder why The GHOST PATROL was 'free', it's because it was a retitled reprint of The PHANTOM PATROL from SWIFT, a few years before.)
    










7 comments:

George Shiers said...

That's brilliant - really interesting too see! It's a shame you got rid of all the others...

Anonymous said...

Nice to see Issue 2 of Smash again not seen that in ages - I actually have a set of those Smash file copies as well (but only about 15 issues not a full run) got them at the old Glasgow Memorabillai shows - they are from around the time Ken Reids " Queen of the Seas" was being published on the back page - Interesting stuff indeed - McScotty

Kid said...

George, I think that one issue's labels might be interesting - but 50 of them is overdoing things, don't you think?

******

McScotty, that's interesting - 'cos the fellow I gave my copies to lives in Glasgow. I can't recall 'though, if they included any later issues with Queen of the Seas on the back page. Did yours have the labels too?

Anonymous said...

Yes they had the labels on them got a few with me and they were actualy from the 20's to 40's with one or two early ones such a issue 5. - small world - McScotty

Kid said...

As there would've only been one set with labels it looks like they're the ones I gave away. He must've sold them on, the rascal. Small world indeed.

PhilSee said...

Thanks for posting, again Kid. Aside from paying some insane prices on eBay these are unlikely to be seen by those us who did not have access to them at the time
(ie living outside the UK) so good to catch up. I know the odd page gets posted online but quality is not always a match for your scans (Kid did not pay me to say that-honest). Look forward to further instalments.

Kid said...

Always glad to hear from you, Phil. Getting feedback on how much people enjoy seeing stuff on the blog makes it worthwhile. Comments like yours help to keep me motivated.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...