Sunday 9 December 2012

JUST A LITTLE 'OFF-COLOUR'...


Original colour scheme.  Copyright MARVEL COMICS

Amongst my overlarge and heaving collection of cataclysmic comic curiosities, I've got well-over 90 MARVEL MASTERWORKS volumes, 15 MARVEL OMNIBUS editions, and more than 30 reprint books featuring classic Marvel tales from the 1960s & '70s.  I just can't stop buying them, even ones I've already got on my bookshelves.

New colour scheme by Andy Yanchus

Here's the problem:  When Marvel first issued their Masterworks series back in the late 1980s, they weren't quite so 'archival' in nature, seldom (if at all) following the colour schemes of their initial comicbook printings.  As the years wore on however, it was decided to make these valiant volumes more faithful to their original publications, and, consequently, they were then coloured in accordance with how they had first been unleashed on the comic-buying public.

Original colour scheme

So, when a new edition with more accurate reproduction of linework and colouring was released, I'd buy it, figuring to replace the earlier, less faithful volumes.  Thing is, some of the colouring on those early books is, in many instances, more atmospheric and effective than the original comic printing.  Consequently, I can't bear to part with them. While the 'purist' in me craves having stories as faithful to their initial appearance as is humanly possible, the reader in me enjoys seeing the recoloured stories with their more varied and interesting colour palettes.

New colour scheme by Andy Yanchus

I've included a few examples to show just what I'm talking about from the first printings of SPIDER-MAN, DOCTOR STRANGE, and IRON MAN hardcover MASTERWORKS, and the more recent softcover editions which replicate the original colouring.  As you can see, the recoloured versions have more depth, gradation in tones, and are far more atmospheric in mood.

Original colour scheme

The Spider-Man/Tinkerer splash page in particular is stunning, and amply demonstrates just how crucial colouring can be to the end result.  As I said, it's great to have archive editions of how these stories first appeared back in the '60s, but the recoloured versions are classics in their own right which I just couldn't part with. This way, I have the absolute best of both worlds.

New colour scheme by Andy Yanchus

Which versions do you prefer?  Or do you think it doesn't much matter which way they're coloured?  If you have an opinion on the subject, feel free to share your views in the comments section.  

10 comments:

baab said...

The iron man page is wonderful in the re-coloured state.
It looks thoroughly modern...
My mind said,hey thats for you!

going to have a look and see if i already have it though!

I think your reasoning is sound.

Kid said...

Hi Baab, where ya been? Andy Yanchus used to work for Aurora Models - he's great with colour. I think he first coloured the Spidey stories for the Marvel Tales reprints in the early '80s. He was definitely the right man for the job.

baab said...

Ive been hovering Kid.
I have typed a few comments but when I re-read them they seem long winded under the influence....so I just enjoy reading others comments.
i also entered the Amazing Mr X competition and well,they published my entry in their anthology.
I missed the submission date by a couple of days as I did not begin my entry until two days before the final whistle! (ITS ALWAYS LAST MINUTE WITH ME) So I was not in any of the winning categories but i gave it a go to see if i could.

I lettered it digitally and then i hand lettered it to see the difference.
They printed the digital font version though.
I would like to send you a copy of both digital and hand lettered to get your opinion..........

I am made of stern stuff and can handle your keen eye and tongue,
I assure you.

Kid said...

Baab, I've sent you my email address so that you can forward me your entry to look at. Failing that, you can always post it on your blog.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a fan of enhanced colouring on classic comics. Keeping the strips as close as possible to the original look is best IMHO.

The worst culprit was that Tales of Asgard collection of a few years back, with its heavy recolouring, lens flares and whatnot. It totally overpowered the line works. Sometimes less is more.

Kid said...

Funnily enough, I thought those recoloured Tales of Asgard strips took on a whole new lease of life and were given another dimension. I did a side-by-side comparison with some pages in their 'before and after' states on this blog, and the 'after' pages won hands down. Horses for courses I suppose, eh?

Nick Caputo said...

As a child I loved getting Marvel Tales and Marvel Collectors Item Classics and comparing the stories to the originals. Early on they were often recolored (usually not as well as the original), although at one point they began copying the orignals.

I always liked Andy Yanchus's coloring schemes in the Marvel Tales reprints in the 1980s. While very different than Stan Goldberg's coloring (which I really enjoy) it was stylish and attractive. With the Masterworks I like the fact that they retain the original coloring of t he 1960s stuff, although mistakes should be corrected. When you get into the 1970s, where coloring was often inferior, I would prefer new coloring.

Kid said...

The original Masterworks were recoloured 'though, Nick. It wasn't 'til relatively recent years that they began colouring them as per the original comics. Even then, they make 'mistakes': In the recent presentation of Thor's origin from JIM #83, his boot thongs are coloured blue in one panel. I suspect, however, that it may have been done to help identify the source of unauthorised printings abroad.

Nick Caputo said...

I meant to say the later Masterworks. I have some of the originals and the coloring choices on some of them are pretty bad. Those mistakes may very well be on purpose. I do know that having spoken with Cory, he does his very best to get everything right, and works far beyond the call of duty. He truly loves the comics and is dedicated to putting out (and improving) each Masterwork edition (and, contrary to what some may believe, I'm not complimenting him because he sent me a No-Prize, although he did!)

Kid said...

I don't remember being too turned off at the recoloured early Masterworks volumes - with the possible exception of the blue logo on the origin of Thor. I think some of the pages were an improvement, although, like you, I also like to have copies (old or new) of the original versions.

Dave Bogart gave me an email address for Cory, I think, but I've misplaced it. Could you send me it, Nick, as I want to make him aware of a few mistakes for correction in future printings? Ta much.

Always interested in your observations and comments, Nick. Keep 'em coming.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...